East Northamptonshire Get Together?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
In discussing a possible day out with Scribe it occurs to me that others my like to join us and turn it into an MD Day Out.

I have spoken often about Wellingborough's Millcotton/Ringstead Island complex and I think the snake lake would be an ideal venue. I think I have to book a minimum of ten pegs, max 20, and that would allow me to bring guests onto an otherwise member only water. I hesitate to mention the word "match" as I wouldn't like to discourage anyone who wanted to enjoy a day's pleasure fishing in MD company. But booked as a match we could use keepnets and if a few wanted I would do a nominal nugget or two winner take all pool. I may even donate a complete set of NOTN Clothes Pegs for the Angler Of The Day.

Easy parking, short walks, flat banks and good platforms. Portaloos on site and they should be disabled friendly soon. The lake is a roughly 13m wide loop around an island with 40 pegs plus five disabled pegs in the main car park. Stocking is very mixed. Carp averaging 2-3lb with enough up to ten to make it interesting but the lake also contains everything else except dace & pike. Some nice crucians if you can find them. A couple of miles away is a McDonald's for breakfast if you fancy.

Mill Cotton Whole.JPG

My records show my average catch over all of 2019, Winter & Summer, to be made up of 5 carp, 5 skimmers/bream, 2 crucians, 1 tench, three roach and three or four fish of other species. Not a bag up water though I'm sure a good commercial angler targeting the carp would do well. I tend to adopt an anything that swims approach though stick to pellet and corn when warmer. Yesterday for example I had seven different species, only one carp. I expect the warmer temperature in Spring to stir the fish up.

The fishery is between Ringstead and Great Addington. Easily accessible from the A45, A6 and A14.

These are two fish caught last October (18 inch net).

IMG_20191020_154104.jpg

IMG_20191020_140820.jpg

If there is enough interest I will see what dates I can book, I'm thinking April for the better weather (hopefully). I assume that for most it will have to be a Saturday or Sunday. There is normally a working party on a Saturday morning but hopefully they will be working elsewhere on the complex.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Double peg winner ? :)

Date dependent I would definitely be up for this Neil.

I have fished at Milcotton and it is a very tidy and well looked after club water and a pleasure to fish, just watch out for NOTN the venue expert Aka Margin Bandit. :D

Angler of the Day wins the NOTN pegs. :unsure: Even I might stand a chance of winning something ! :D

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Will you be showing anglers how to catch F1s Neil ?
If so depending on dates I will come for a day out .

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Will you be showing anglers how to catch F1s Neil ?
If so depending on dates I will come for a day out .

Good man Tony, it wouldn't be the same without your smiling face. :)

PS - We will need to find somewhere that does a decent breakfast, no offence @Neil ofthe nene but a MaxD breakfast wouldn't fill up a pygmy. :D

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
if it on a sunday,i will have some of that ta :upthumb:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Neil, I'd be interested if it was not a Sunday (will probably have a club match).

Be aware that Rysons is booked for a MD day out on April 19. I've found out a bit about it - a water where bread is banned but allowed! Also no toilets. Not sure whether I will try that, as 12 anglers on a 40-peg lake is not what I like - I prefer to be able to see and talk to the angler next door.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Depending on the date I could be interested..might even bring the sons of Trogg :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Thank you for the positive responses. I must admit that as I am not fishing it the Rysons get together on April19 had slipped my mind (as had the MD calendar). How about a date in June? Benefits are daylight hours for those travelling a distance, better fishing (hopefully).

I will research breakfast options for @Scribe and his enormous appetite, Kevin - how good are your cooking skills?