Earwigs

bluemack

Site Supporter
I have a severe infestation of earwigs in my garden, my Dahlias have taken a proper hammering all summer,any ideas how
i can get rid of them? Cheers.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
One solution that you can make is a mixture of water and dish soap. If you spray this to infected areas, it will prevent earwigs from returning.

Vinegar. Mixed with water (or used straight) and sprayed around the garden and house, vinegar is a good deterrent for the critters. Combined with a little liquid soap, vinegar will kill earwigs almost immediately when sprayed directly on them.

bluemack

Site Supporter
One solution that you can make is a mixture of water and dish soap. If you spray this to infected areas, it will prevent earwigs from returning.

Vinegar. Mixed with water (or used straight) and sprayed around the garden and house, vinegar is a good deterrent for the critters. Combined with a little liquid soap, vinegar will kill earwigs almost immediately when sprayed directly on them.
Will try that mate,much appreciated,(y)

ravey

They like climbing. I remember finding loads in dried up poppy heads. You can trap them if you clamp an old matchbox over the end of a cane and stick it in a plant pot or other support. Are they harmful to plants?

bluemack

Site Supporter
They like climbing. I remember finding loads in dried up poppy heads. You can trap them if you clamp an old matchbox over the end of a cane and stick it in a plant pot or other support. Are they harmful to plants?
They are making short work of my plants mate..................between them and the slugs they,ve decimated everything.

62tucker

Site Supporter
How do ya mean mate,and what does it do? we are talking literally thousands here mate not the odd one or two.:(:(
Don’t know for thousands but my dad was well into showing dahlias and always had old pots on a cane upside down with paper in. Earwigs went in and he would pull paper out into bucket and burn them.
We used to get them up caravan years ago but haven’t seen any for a fair few years.
Think we sprayed with Symbil or something similar named product

bluemack

Site Supporter
Don’t know for thousands but my dad was well into showing dahlias and always had old pots on a cane upside down with paper in. Earwigs went in and he would pull paper out into bucket and burn them.
We used to get them up caravan years ago but haven’t seen any for a fair few years.
Think we sprayed with Symbil or something similar named product
Cheers tuck,thanks for the advice worth a try.(y)

bluemack

Site Supporter
Problem i have is i really dislike killing anything(have,nt always been that way) it,s something that,s developed as i,ve got older.
Unfortunately i don,t seem to have much choice.:(