Earthworms, dendrobenas, where do you get them from?

SUFC

Do you dig them up, or use washing up solution or buy them or have you got a wormery? My garden has hardly got any worms in it for some reason. I was tempted to go to the local park and see if I can get some from the grass there.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I get mine from the little fridge in the local tackle shop. A small tub for about £1.50 usually has about 20 dendrobenas in. They do bigger ones but I rarely use that many. Any leftover go into a soil filled plant pot in the garden, I keep it in the shade and add water and veg peelings. Comes in handy when I just want a few worms as hook bait.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I want a lot of lobbies, I will dig em, theres lots of fields around here I can set to with a fork

only wanting a few, i will go and lift up a few of the stones or old bits of tin over an abandoned rail lineshunting yard thats close, will get a few white slugs at the same time

dendras, I buy

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Living relatively close to Willy Worms it’s a no brainer. Besides, if I get a fork or spade out of the shed the misses would insist on me doing some gardening. 😳

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Living relatively close to Willy Worms it’s a no brainer. Besides, if I get a fork or spade out of the shed the misses would insist on me doing some gardening. 😳
Definitely the easy option these days, especially with my back :rolleyes:

I'm never as confident using them as I am with freshly collected ones. I think it was Gary Jubb who always liked to use ones he'd got the night before the match.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Definitely the easy option these days, especially with my back :rolleyes:

I'm never as confident using them as I am with freshly collected ones. I think it was Gary Jubb who always liked to use ones he'd got the night before the match.
Not seen Gary for a few years. Fantastic angler. One of the most natural anglers I’ve ever fished with. I could never beat him at Elsecar. 😡🤣🤣

SUFC

Sorry I'm not a wormologist....I thought common-all-garden (except my garden) earthworms were the same as dendras. Lobworms, yes they're a different kettle of fish (or should I say a different can of worms).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got a wormery that's now full of dendrobaena worms. I say I've got but my dad bought it for £100 so it's under his control. I think he managed to talk my mom into letting him get it on the proviso it makes worm juice for the garden. For the first few months I only took a few worms out at a time, so when I needed a kilo of them for a holiday, I bought them from WiIlly Worms. The half a kilo I didn't use went back into the wormery and now they've started to breed there's masses of them in there.

I don't collect lobworms myself, I buy them on occassion but they are expensive at about 20 to 25p a worm. The ones you can buy are flipping massive though, I call them snakes. I think I'd do well to find them that size round here as the soil isn't quite right, being a shallow clay.

R0B

Got a wormery. Took too many fishing once so had to top up with half a Kg from WW. They bred and lots of tiny worms were around recently so I am hoping they will see me through. I have heard the worm compost is good as/in ground bait too, though last time I used it the only thing interested was a bream.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Match pack of large Dendra £8.99 (well it is Essex) you get a half kilo for that

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Bought half a kilo of Dendra in February from my local tackle shop and used hardly any, built a two tub wormery and they are thriving and undoubtedly breeding as there’s way more than half a kilo now.

Will be thinning them out a bit shortly as I’ve been out onto a bream water local to me that bears serious investigation.