Early season Tench baits.

Silver fan 82

Just looking for your experiences of what bait catches Tench this early in the season.
As the water warms and the Tench become more active is there a go to bait that you can always rely on?
I've usually done fairly well on dendrobeana and corn early on in the season.
Another theory I've heard and makes sense to me is that natural baits, ie worm, maggots and caster are better later in the season as the natural food such as bloodworm and snails reproduce and thier numbers get higher so the Tench become preoccupied with naturals.
So conversely bigger baits like boilies, pellets and corn can score better earlier in the season.
I'd be interested to hear your views and experiences guys.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Red maggots, casters and 2mm pellets.

This time of year it’s about small particles, I wouldn’t use worm until end of may

Silver fan 82

Red maggots, casters and 2mm pellets.

This time of year it’s about small particles, I wouldn’t use worm until end of may
All the replies are leaning towards naturals which was the route I was thinking of taking.
Maybe a little groundbait too.

baggy

Mark Saunders
All the replies are leaning towards naturals which was the route I was thinking of taking.
Maybe a little groundbait too.
The lakes that I have speci fished for tench are naturals, they are 100 year old clay pits. They are very deep and gin clear. I would feed micros, maybe some hemp mixed in. Then loosefeed red maggots and use plastic red maggots or casters on the hook.

I would never use groundbait on a natural for tench unless it was a venue where there is a history of a groundbait feeder working. Most speci tenchfishers use maggot feeders or the method with pellets when ledgering

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've found like with most fish maggots and casters are the best tench baits by a fair way it's just a matter of whether the silvers let you use them. If they don't then corn has got me a few. Used to catch a few on expanders from one place but it has a ton of carp so they were probably more used to pellets than your typical tench. Had hoped to have a tench session over the long weekend but looking like its going to be too cold to be odds on of catching so will leave it a bit longer yet.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve fished double red maggot over groundbait laced with hemp, caster, 2mm pellets and finely chopped worm - it’s worked so far this year.

Silver fan 82

I've found like with most fish maggots and casters are the best tench baits by a fair way it's just a matter of whether the silvers let you use them. If they don't then corn has got me a few. Used to catch a few on expanders from one place but it has a ton of carp so they were probably more used to pellets than your typical tench. Had hoped to have a tench session over the long weekend but looking like its going to be too cold to be odds on of catching so will leave it a bit longer yet.
I'm hoping to get out on Saturday for a session. Would be nice to get out over the next few days with this nice weather nut I have to work 😕
I'm hoping that the warm spell will warm the water enough to get a few on the weekend.

Silver fan 82

The lakes that I have speci fished for tench are naturals, they are 100 year old clay pits. They are very deep and gin clear. I would feed micros, maybe some hemp mixed in. Then loosefeed red maggots and use plastic red maggots or casters on the hook.

I would never use groundbait on a natural for tench unless it was a venue where there is a history of a groundbait feeder working. Most speci tenchfishers use maggot feeders or the method with pellets when ledgering
Just out of curiosity why would you avoid groundbait on a natural @baggy ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm hoping to get out on Saturday for a session. Would be nice to get out over the next few days with this nice weather nut I have to work 😕
I'm hoping that the warm spell will warm the water enough to get a few on the weekend.
Hell of a drop going from about 20 like it is now to about 10 at the weekend. Suspect the fish won't know what's hit them! Obviously the water temperature won't swing quite that much but suspect it'll still be a change of good few degrees. Proper Sod's law that we're getting this weather before the long weekend rather than over it 😡

Silver fan 82

Hell of a drop going from about 20 like it is now to about 10 at the weekend. Suspect the fish won't know what's hit them! Obviously the water temperature won't swing quite that much but suspect it'll still be a change of good few degrees. Proper Sod's law that we're getting this weather before the long weekend rather than over it 😡
Typical English Bank Holiday weather mate!

Silver fan 82

It’s from what I’ve learnt from fishing my local waters and what other tench anglers have caught. Particles have always always outfished groundbait especially if the water is clear
I agree with that, particles have always bought me better results.