Early morning & late afternoon @ rufford canal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wokkie

Riccardo El Paxo
This morning
I was up early this morning to fish my local cut as I not been for a few weeks.But as soon as I got out the car and walk on the field,couldn't believe how cold and how foggy it was[:0]

Can you see the light frost on the grass[:0][:0]FFS,it's mid May[:0]Summer supposed to be just round the corner[xx(]
1zecmc8.jpg

Anyway,as expected with these cold nights[xx(]Fishing was pants[xx(]2 and a half hours,4 bites on 6mm bread punch...2 skimmer,1 hybrid and a bream[xx(]But it was lovely when the sun eventually up and burnt all the fog and frost[:D]
2i23ac8.jpg

oq8wu1.jpg

This afternoon
Got there after 5:30pm.With the sun high up and the boats traffic up and down the canal like a yo-yo.I didn't bother to set up quick nor feed the swims[xx(]While walking along the canal chating to the anglers that were fishing there.I met a couple Maggotdrowners,St.Helen Stan and Ray[:T]They were there since 3pm and did ok,caught a few small ones[:T]
v6jhb6.jpg

While setting up,getting the baits ready and waiting for the boat to go pass my swim.Notice Ray 100yds away hooked into something decent that stretch his elastic a bit[:D]So I ran after the boat,telling them to stop until Ray can land the fish[:p]Stop they did[:T]And Ray landed something I had never seen or heard anyone caught from that canal[:0]It's a beautiful full colour Koi[:0]
Well done Ray[:T]What a beauty[:T]
15pjp1y.jpg

As for me,I didn't start fishing properly till after 7pm when all the boats rush back to the Mariner[:p]Fishing was much better than this morning,think I caught 3 times more and 4 times heavier than what I caught this morning[:D]
fu0vet.jpg

Last edited:

crumpercatcher

Nice net in the evening Wokkie, as for that Koi it would look nice in my pond. [:D] I did see a BIG Koi swimming in the Ribble last summer, absolutely beautiful it was.

gorstyman

great report and good evenings fishing Wokkie ...were they all caught on the bread ? .

wokkie

Riccardo El Paxo
Originally posted by gorstyman

....were they all caught on the bread ? .
Yes,most of them caught on 6mm or 7mm bread punch over grounded halibut and 4mm expanded pellets[:D]Only 2 of those caught on 4mm expander.

I think Ray and St.Helen Stan were fishing with bread punch and casters,not too sure[:I]But the koi was caught on bread punch[:T]

millreef

great pics wokkie used fish rufford line when i was kid biking up there from burscough,used fish the locks at night for eels we tights we all sorts rubbish in em large lobs on was great fun scary as hell on thar stretch when ure under 15 lolol wouldnt dream of it now lol

St helens Stan

Great to bump into you Wokkie, nice catch you had after we left. We fished from 3pm until 8.45. It was a lovely day but the water temp is still low which might explain the slow fishing. Given the amount of silvers knocking around I expected more but alas it wan't to be. Wokkie is correct I used bread punch and caster for maybe 10 fish the biggest might have made 14oz Ray's koi was the highlight of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.