early hours ponderings....

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I love working nights, i get to stand outside in the cool night air with a steaming mug of coffee and look up.

I love it, i look up at my favourite constellations, i look at Cassiopeia and Orion, i look at Orions Scabbard and the Nebula, i wonder what it looks like now, at the precise moment i'm looking at it not as we see it but right at that moment in time..... then i wonder how many stars have been "born" in it.

I look at Betelgeuse and wonder if it's gone Nova yet, am i looking at the ghost of a star that is no longer there, if it has gone Nova did it destroy a planet or even planets full of life or were they advanced enough to escape to another planet.

I look up and even though i've seen the same view a million billion trillion smegillion times i still can't help but stand in awe and wonder just how many of the stars i'm looking at are suns like our own, how many of them have a planetary system like ours, how many have a planet with life, how many of those planets have life as advanced or more advanced than us.

I wonder if up there somewhere in our own galaxy or even one of the millions of others is there a life form looking up at their own night sky, seeing a faint star and wondering...is there someone out there looking up at their night sky...

I guess my mind doesn't work like others, i can't understand how people can be so conditioned to believe that this tiny damp spec of dust floating around a minor star in a nondescript galaxy drifitng through the universe was the one chosen by some omnipotent being to be the only place for life.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I had a similar conversation with my dad many years ago about the same thing, I was around 12 or 13 at the time. His answer was...

There are times when we are better off not knowing the unknown. We do enough damage to ourselves without others coming along and freaking us out.

I still remember those words after all this time, but it does make you wonder.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I have formilab loaded on my PC so that I can see which planets are visible at any given time. I like to see them as the ancients saw them moving on the ecliptic, I'm lucky not having much in the way of light pollution.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
My guess is if another life form from another planet came it wouldn't stay long due to the way we treat our Planet and its beings.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Another life form did come here thousands of years ago and created mankind by crossing their DNA with that of a walking ape probably austrlopithicus, it's why we are so different from all of the animals. ?

Blanks

Site Supporter
Probably had a few Stella's while they were here lol.
Once they had created the original women they took a fancy to them and started taking them for wives.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
No,but I saw a few when I was younger,and no they didn't help before anyone asks ??

62tucker

Site Supporter
I got a app on phone called “star chart” sometimes use it up Northumberland where there nearly total darkness. Canny informative

frankg

Site Supporter
I love working nights, i get to stand outside in the cool night air with a steaming mug of coffee and look up.

I love it, i look up at my favourite constellations, i look at Cassiopeia and Orion, i look at Orions Scabbard and the Nebula, i wonder what it looks like now, at the precise moment i'm looking at it not as we see it but right at that moment in time..... then i wonder how many stars have been "born" in it.

I look at Betelgeuse and wonder if it's gone Nova yet, am i looking at the ghost of a star that is no longer there, if it has gone Nova did it destroy a planet or even planets full of life or were they advanced enough to escape to another planet.

I look up and even though i've seen the same view a million billion trillion smegillion times i still can't help but stand in awe and wonder just how many of the stars i'm looking at are suns like our own, how many of them have a planetary system like ours, how many have a planet with life, how many of those planets have life as advanced or more advanced than us.

I wonder if up there somewhere in our own galaxy or even one of the millions of others is there a life form looking up at their own night sky, seeing a faint star and wondering...is there someone out there looking up at their night sky...

I guess my mind doesn't work like others, i can't understand how people can be so conditioned to believe that this tiny damp spec of dust floating around a minor star in a nondescript galaxy drifitng through the universe was the one chosen by some omnipotent being to be the only place for life.

Deep and very true (apart from smegillion :unsure: ) Trogg. You could have been reading my mind.
I've had many conversations on those very points. As for life elsewhere, I will say what I always say....'Nature abhors a vacuum'....it will fill every niche with life...so yes, there definitely is!! Now we just need to find it! (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
@Trogg if you haven't seen the night sky in the Southern hemisphere then you have a great treat in store if you ever get the chance.

I was lucky enough to attend three star talks given in the Australian bush earlier this year. Zero light pollution and millions more stars, the sight was breathtaking when first revealed.

I agree, some form of life must, did or will exist elsewhere.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter

I totally agree 100%.

angel

Site Supporter
I rarely post anything concerning my religious beliefs which are very personal to me, but Trogg your description of observing the night sky and your thoughts of life beyond our planet are so familiar to my own as a young man, I had to reply.
I have always been interested in the awesome wonder of the universe we can see, to paraphrase a fine hymn. It is quite inconceivable that it is devoid of life apart from one blue jewel like planet... Earth.
Eventually, I am sure we will discover other forms perhaps even carbon based like our own. As a Christian I have no problem with any of this, nor do I doubt that the whole shebang was/is being created/destroyed continually by cosmic forces.
My beliefs in an omnipotent force do not conflict with this merely put me in my place so to speak.
If my God is capable of creating the mechanisms which govern this magnificent universe how easy then to influence the life of a simple biped life form such as I.
In my life I have experienced things which I attribute to the 'hand of God' others may interpret this as coincidence or fate.
When I sit and fish and commune with nature I see a tiny fragment of that same creative hand at work and I take great comfort in my faith.
I still love to stare up into a dark starry sky and wonder.