EA BASIC SKILLS TEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

HALTON DANGLER

over the last few weeks fishing and driving home from work i have lost count at the number of kids and adults i see fishing without a landing net. i can tell from what rod they are using that they are after the carp and big bream in the local canal but say they do get lucky and catch one how do they intend to one land the fish and two unhook it without damaging it. no wonder when i walk my dog in a morning i see so mang bream belly up!!.
Now i know alot of us regular anglers who go out regualr and are sucessful have been tought the proper way by either a parent of by member of a local club from a young age b ut there are far to many people fishing local canals with very little or no knowledge of fishing and fish welfare.
the idea i have would be for people to have to take or attend a basic angling skills day as part of their licence, they only have to take it once when they get their first EA licence and its recored they have done it.
hopefully this would teach people how to land fish saftly and unhook them and other basic skills of the basics of fishing. far too many people around my are for example go fishing for big carp and bream with line you could catch a shark on and i can only imagine they just skull them out when they catch them.

anyhow rant over, it just upsets me to see so many nice fish belly up on my local canal, just feel the EA could do alot more to educate people who didnt have the luxury of a father or family member that was into angling.

Last edited:

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Kcon, yes they do although I didnt do it when I was about 12.

http://berlin.angloinfo.com/information/32/fishing.asp

Codger

I see your point Hatton Dangler.... but looking at the German example...

"30-40 hours supervised fishing lessons must be taken before the exam (lessons normally take place over 4 to 5 weekends. Information on dates and instruction is usually available from local fishing clubs and shops)"......

(presumably costing per hour)..............

"The exam tests the knowledge of:

* Different types of fish
* Fish biology and habitats
* Fishing equipment and its uses
* Treatment of catch
* Different types of waters (lakes, rivers, seas)
* Relevant legislation on fish, animal and nature protection"

We live in a country where governmental interference is rife...
Do you not think this is overkill???
Also ....possibly a good number of people fishing in the manner you observed may not have a license anyway....so a bit of a moot point????

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Have you thought about reporting this to the EA and asking for a bailiff to do a sweep along that section for licences?

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Good point Neil.
My mate reported illegals/unlicensed/inconsiderate fish killing anglers to EA in Yorkshire, and found an EA bailiff checking the area shortly afterwards. He said they do follow up reports, but can't be everywhere at once. Said they do their best with available resources, so are greatful for reports to follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.