E Scooters, Your Opinion?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I would be interested to hear people's opinions on privately owned E Scooters. At present illegal on the roads and pavement but that has not stopped them from gaining in popularity.

A great means of transport or a menace to pedestrians and the riders themselves when on the road? Should they be treated like motorised bikes and need tax, insurance and number plates?

Robwooly

Site Supporter
They have them in Aylesbury in various locations to rent from the council, bolted to the floor, they can't be illegal if the local council has authorised their use as public transport.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If they make lanes for them, like they did with cycle lanes, then I don't see a problem with them. But with any type of transport, you'll still get the idiots.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not something I have given much thought as I don't see too many, but I did see in Stafford town centre signs saying "please dismount e scooters here". I think they've also being been running a rental trial scheme with green motives.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Official rental ones under local schemes are legal, privately owned ones are illegal. Which is a strange stance, but so be it.

We are already starting to see serious accidents involving these and due to the mass and speed involved (and lack of protection from motorists) it's only a matter of time before there are many serious accidents and fatalities.

I've had a few run-ins - going straight across a T junction from the pavement to road to pavement without stopping or looking (I was turning left and had to brake hard to avoid a collision). And more recently, on the pavement going wrong way up a one-way street, then turning to go through a pedestrian walkway and then going on the road wrong-way on a one-way street. It's only a matter of time before that rider has a head-on.

Personally I'd ban them all, but will settle for clearer laws, registration ID and enforcement.

I realise, as a cyclist, some of my thoughts might seem a little hypocritical, but I ride on the road, obeying the traffic laws, I don't ride an illegal vehicle in a dangerous manner.

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Menace to society got them here , used by dealers to transport drugs around the City use of them got suspended once.
Get them on the road off the pavements with insurance and safety gear mandatory or bin them off

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
They have them in Aylesbury in various locations to rent from the council, bolted to the floor, they can't be illegal if the local council has authorised their use as public transport.
Afraid you are wrong. Those scooters are part of a Government trial, several towns and cities are taking part. Personally owned E Scooters are illegal on public roads and pavements. It is the personal ones I am talking about.

From that web page -

"These rules are only for rental e-scooters used as part of trials​

The rules for private e-scooters have not changed. It is against the law to use a privately owned e-scooter. If you use an e-scooter illegally:

• you could face a fine
  • you could get penalty points on your licence
  • the e-scooter could be impounded"

Chervil

Site Supporter
Not sure how the ones that are hired get around the law. However, they are classed as a 'Mechanically Propelled Vehicle', so require MOT, Insurance, Driving Licence, Road Tax and, I'm assuming a registration plate.

Under section 134 RTA 88 Mechanically Propelled Vehicles cannot ride on footpaths, bridleways or restricted byways and Section 21 says they can't go on cycle ways.

A lot of those I have seen seem to be on the footpath, or going the wrong way along one way streets. Then there are the ones with seats, which are basically electric scooters.

I have no problem with them, as long as they are taxed, insured, have an index plate, the rider has a licence and they don't break the law. And, of course lights!

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
They are all over Chelmsford like a bloody rash... you see them left on pavements too... just propped up, dunno what's going on there

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene yep fair enough I just remember seeing them, so put 2 n 2 together made 6 obviously, I stand corrected.

I my humble opinion all forms of motorised transportation should be registered and have a safety test, and insurance, this would stop most of the issues that we are seeing with this form of transportation.

Robwooly

Site Supporter
Seems pretty unfair that personal ones are illegal yet councils can rent them out and make money.

Especially if you get knocked over you are unlikely to differentiate between personal and council endorsed ones

nejohn

Site Supporter
There are loads of them in Paris and they are a bloody menace, dodging in and out of traffic then on and off the pavement, doesn't seem any laws or policing of them any idiot can get one and ride it in heavy traffic. If we are going to allow them then they should be subject to some type of test, have insurance and have some form of registration/traceability ...just like cycles should be

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Just looked on Currys and Halfords - both have loads of e-scooters listed, at least Halfords had a disclaimer about not being legal. I'm surprised these well known outlets are seen to be condoning what is obviously going to be illegal use.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Absolute pain in the ar5e.

Plenty of numpties with private ones round here. Knowing it's them breaking the law i treat them with utter contempt and disdain when driving past them and leave them no room, same as a cyclist with no lights at night.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
In Memoriam
Copped one not long back, had the herbert that was on it lying in the gutter groaning

I had pulled out from a parking spot in my road, driven up to the turning spot (cul-de-sac), started reversing round and just saw a flash of Nike three stripe clad yobbo in the rear view mirror

he had shot off the pavement, and across my intended reversing route without looking, I didnt hit him, but his avoidance of the rear bumper took him straight into the curbstone and over he went,

proper gravel rash was the result, I got out and threw a bit of a wobble towards him, if I hadnt been on the ball and slammed the brakes on it would of been a far worse result, as it was he was lucky to get away with what he did and not get a ding from me too

when they are on the pavement as Im walking the dog, its the silent way they come up to you thats the worst thing about em, you just dont hear them coming

public danger and nuisance, we have no council operatd policy here, all of em are illegal

and dont get me started about youths on pit and mini bikes,, thats another bloody thing !!!!!

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Considering the damage and injury they can potentially cause I think they should be restricted to road use only,
and be required to have lights, tax, MOT, and most of all insurance. But this would need policing, and the police seem
unable or unwilling to police them at the moment so I doubt they will do so in future.
Fireblade929's video is a case in point. I doubt the motor got away undamaged. How is the driver going to get
the scooterist to cough up for repairs, short of restraining him and calling the police.
A while back I saw a youth on an e-scooter zipping along the pavement at a fair old lick, with a large flat screen TV
sideways across the footplate, making the vehicle about 4ft wide. Any suddenly encountered pedestrian wouldn't
stand a chance.

...But alas; councils have seen the potential 瞿瞿s in providing rentals. So common sense and the law will take a back seat.