E card warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I received this in an email to day anf felt it worth posting here as a warning to all.

BEWARE of Electronic Greeting Cards

FYI, Just in Time for the Holidays: Those cute little electronic greeting cards you occasionally get from friends may be a real problem. The ones I'm speaking of are those where there's a link that says "[Some Name] has sent you a greeting card. Go here to get your greeting card".

There's a new card company called "FriendGreetings.com". When you get a card notification from them and click on the link, it will take you to their site. You will be notified that you have to install an ActiveX control in order to view the card. When you begin to install, the first thing that pops up is what is known as a "EULA" (End User License Agreement). It is very long, and you will not read it. They're counting on that. When you scroll to the bottom of it and click "Accept," you have agreed to the terms of the EULA.

Part of what you will have agreed to is to have monitoring/spyware software installed on your computer which will periodically report a vast array of data back to the card company. The other part that you've agreed to is to have the software send mail to EVERY SINGLE ADDRESS IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.

In short, you've voluntarily agreed to install a virus-type product on your machine. This is not a good thing.

See: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2124528,00.html for details. Also

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/friendgreetings.html

Since there is no virus in the email itself, and since you're VOLUNTARILY agreeing to install the ActiveX component, VIRUS CHECKERS & AntiVirus programs WILL NOT CATCH THIS.

Just a reminder: DO NOT OPEN EMAIL ATTACHMENTS when you are not expecting them, and DO NOT RUN ANYTHING FROM THE INTERNET WHICH REQUIRES A EULA AGREEMENT.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.jpg

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
I got a pop up saying I could downloadloads of picture of celebrities nude or caught unawares. All I had to do was download a viewing program. I was in fact a dialer that would have reconnected me to a site at PREMIUM RATE+ I immediatly removed it. So beware...............
............Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

norm

esox
nearly all you down load or use has eula

power dvd
microsoft windows update

so if microsoft uses eula what chance do we have?

Trevski

quote:Originally posted by haydn.borthwick

I got a pop up saying I could downloadloads of picture of celebrities nude or caught unawares. All I had to do was download a viewing program. I was in fact a dialer that would have reconnected me to a site at PREMIUM RATE+ I immediatly removed it. So beware...............

My Childminder was stung in the same way by one of these.

One of her teenage sons was duped into downloading an MP3 downloader
that gave you unlimited access to the whole top 100 albums.
Trouble was, he downloaded it, ran it and it did nothing.
Oh, well. Nothing ventured eh? No loss? Wrong!
It had installed itself over the top of his dialup components
and whenever he tried to get online it was dialling a premuim
rate line in MALAYSIA!!!!

The only reason this was stopped was because they couldn't collect
their email (the isp would only allow connection within its own
domain) so they re-installed the ISP cd.

It was only discovered what had been happening when they got the
phone bill! 250!!!!

VERY NASTY!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trevski

quote:Originally posted by norm

esox
nearly all you down load or use has eula

power dvd
microsoft windows update

so if microsoft uses eula what chance do we have?

I think what he meant was.....
"Dont run it unless its from a trusted source"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
What I was doing was warning against E cards. I know most down loads have EULA but how many? would think that theres spy ware built in.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.