DVD to USB Conversion

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Using Make MKV and Vidcoder I can successfully produce a file on USB stick (MP4) that will play on my TV. However I am having problems with one particular DVD.

This DVD was produced by a local company and is a recording of a show put on by my granddaughter's dance school at the local theatre. I have tried the usual Make MKV/Vidcoder route and have produced what looks like an MP4 file but the TV reports an error message of Unsupported Format when I try to play it. In fact sometimes when I have tried to transfer the file from PC to USB stick I get the message that the memory on the stick isn't sufficient for the file. Yet the file data in "properties" reports a size well under the free space on the stick.

Any suggestions as to how I might achieve what I want, I have a 9yo pestering me to show her performances on the TV.

P.S. I don't have a DVD slot in the TV nor a DVD player hooked up to it at present. Not been needed with the new TV as it plays films from the USB stick - until this one.

Somersetlad

Does the dvd / mp4 file play on your computer? If it does /doesn't check the properties it may be some strange line/field rate that your tv or the ripping software doesn't support, or possibly it's an encryption problem.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Using Make MKV and Vidcoder I can successfully produce a file on USB stick (MP4) that will play on my TV. However I am having problems with one particular DVD.

This DVD was produced by a local company and is a recording of a show put on by my granddaughter's dance school at the local theatre. I have tried the usual Make MKV/Vidcoder route and have produced what looks like an MP4 file but the TV reports an error message of Unsupported Format when I try to play it. In fact sometimes when I have tried to transfer the file from PC to USB stick I get the message that the memory on the stick isn't sufficient for the file. Yet the file data in "properties" reports a size well under the free space on the stick.

Any suggestions as to how I might achieve what I want, I have a 9yo pestering me to show her performances on the TV.

P.S. I don't have a DVD slot in the TV nor a DVD player hooked up to it at present. Not been needed with the new TV as it plays films from the USB stick - until this one.

How big is the file? and how much room do you have on the stick? Did you get it from the school itself? If so, it may be copy protected.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Does the dvd / mp4 file play on your computer? If it does /doesn't check the properties it may be some strange line/field rate that your tv or the ripping software doesn't support, or possibly it's an encryption problem.

Plays on PC with no issues.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
How big is the file? and how much room do you have on the stick? Did you get it from the school itself? If so, it may be copy protected.

As I say, the file size is less than the available space on the stick. I get no error messages when ripping from the DVD and Make MKV produces an output file. Something that wouldn't happen if the DVD were copy protected.

Somersetlad

Plays on PC with no issues.
The dvd plays or the mp4 plays? If the mp4 plays on the pc it should play on the tv, unless it really is some format the tv doesn't support, unlikely. Are you sure that it is dvd(standard def) not bluray (high def), I don't know the software you're using, so won't comment on what it can or can't do, but generally anything that plays sd/hd mp4's can cope with most line/frame rates, but possibly not UHD - and I can't imagine your source material would be UHD, as most broadcasters can't manage it yet.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The MP4 plays on my PC as does the DVD. TV supports MP4 and as I say, will play any other DVD I have converted using the two bits of software mentioned. This is the Properties pane for the MP4 file.

Curtain Call Properties.JPG

So I cannot fathom why the TV refuses to play just this video.

Given I have successfully ripped and converted the file to MP4 that will play on the PC I doubt the disk is protected.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You need to buy a new telly :D

Have you tried it on another TV, another make?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There is another way to play it from your USB stick, convert it to AVI. I know it's a larger file size but it might sort out your immediate problem. Make a back-up of the original mp4 first.

foster82

There is a program I use called DVD FAB that I use , its pay for but believe they have a free trial. Its really good and should do the job for you.

Somersetlad

The MP4 plays on my PC as does the DVD. TV supports MP4 and as I say, will play any other DVD I have converted using the two bits of software mentioned. This is the Properties pane for the MP4 file.

Curtain Call Properties.JPG

So I cannot fathom why the TV refuses to play just this video.

Given I have successfully ripped and converted the file to MP4 that will play on the PC I doubt the disk is protected.

Try comparing properties/details of this file to one you know works. MP4 is technically just a container/wrapper for a file/data, rather than encoding method, does your software allow to choose a codec - try H264, if it's available.

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
try one of the many free screen capture softwares that are available and play it on your pc whilst using the screen capture software to record it .that way you will have a playable copy on your pc which you can then transfer to usb stick.

Somersetlad

Is the stick formatted FAT32 ot NTFS, that might be the problem? Can you play another bit of video from that stick? Then you would know if it's the file or stick/tv combination.