Dust shot........

Bronsin

What size shot is this referring to? There are a few sizes smaller than #8, I have seen dust shot listed in the shotting diagrams, but no mention of what size it is. Two of the floats I'm working on are loaded and use 3 and 6 dust shot to cock them and I have no idea how much they weigh or how heavy the loaded portion of the float needs to be in order to work right.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've always classed 8 to 12 as dust shot. Personally I never go lower than a 9 anyway because I can't see to put it on the line!
I have just bought one of those Dosapiombo float shotters, haven't tried it yet though.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've always classed it from a size 10 and smaller, I could be wrong though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve always though of it as anything smaller than an no.8. Very rarely use it these days myself may very occasionally a no.9 but normally a no.8 from the normal box suffices. I’ve had the same box of dust shot for probably a decade which shows how little I use them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've always classed it from a size 10 and smaller, I could be wrong though.
It must be a regional thing Peter as I have always thought the same. Size 10 down.

Dust shot .... Not heard it called that for quite a while.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
What size shot is this referring to? There are a few sizes smaller than #8, I have seen dust shot listed in the shotting diagrams, but no mention of what size it is. Two of the floats I'm working on are loaded and use 3 and 6 dust shot to cock them and I have no idea how much they weigh or how heavy the loaded portion of the float needs to be in order to work right.
I would say a size 12 but I dont use that much mainly size 10 for droppers

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If memory serves the smallest shot I could lay my hands on in the late 70's early 80's was a size 10 which was commonly known as a dust shot. I never saw or even needed anything smaller back then. I do have some 11 and 12 Stotz but, it's very rare they see the light of day.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Preston Stotz smaller shot (which I would call dust) come in sizes 8 down to 13. I have 13 on a large proportion of my rigs - I don't have much problem handling them with either fingers or, if it's cold weather, with a Stotta.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I've always classed 8 to 12 as dust shot. Personally I never go lower than a 9 anyway because I can't see to put it on the line!
I have just bought one of those Dosapiombo float shotters, haven't tried it yet though.
Dont forget to add your hook to the shot when you come to use it,Iknow of one or two who shotted floats with these ,got them near enough, added hook later on and float sank.

Bronsin

Thanks to everyone for all the replies! #8 shot looks to me like the smallest shot I should have to deal with. The fiish I'm after aren't nearly pressured enough to know the difference anyway :)