Drum and Bass

Zerkalo

The don't make em like this anymore advert thread reminded me of it as it's often the music of choice for louts in summer at some venues near me. Blasting it from the other side of the lake.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Drum and bass is probably my least favourite music... along with hip hop, rap and the erroneously named R&B... (as opposed to Rhythm and Blues, which I love)

Zerkalo

Drum and bass is probably my least favourite music... along with hip hop, rap and the erroneously named R&B... (as opposed to Rhythm and Blues, which I love)

Grime I never got into. Drum and bass and Jungle was just about my generation's rave music so you get euphoric bits like this.

Zerkalo

That Bukem track is from 1992 so I would have been 7 at the time. My first car had a massive subwoofer so I used to like driving around with tunes full blast. I listen to it less now I'm a bit older myself.

Zerkalo

Last tune for tonight probably, but when I was in the Isle of Wight this sounded great driving around next to the sea air and crashing waves. What a tune!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm not even certain exactly which acts might consider themselves to be drum and bass. There's certainly nothing posted by the OP in this thread that shivers my timbers. I do have the odd genre busting curveball that sneaks into my consciousness. The one I recall (I still occasionally play it as a hi-fi tester) that might be the right genre would be Roni Size - Dirty Beats. Hardly an easy listen on any kit but it can sound pretty damned impressive on the right gear.

Other oddballs (definitely not D&B) that a 47 year old white bloke probably should not like (I couldn't even try to explain how or why I like these, but I do) would include.
Childish Gambino - This Is America

Kanye West - Black Skinhead.

Zerkalo

Those tunes a lot came on irish labels that sold quite well at the time but soon went into obscurity. I used to go to a few underground parties in and around Brixton that was the only place that would play that kind of drum and bass just before 'Dubstep' first took off in around 2004 that's when it kind of faded away.

spudnudd

Buddy Rich at Ronnie Scotts theres a few vids on you tube but the programme on tele a week ago shown Buddy do a solo drums its was brilliant he was absolutely ringing with sweat at the end.He played with top bands Count Bassie,Tommy Dorsey etc. so there was always the big bass there what a drummer he was he knew how to pound it out on them skins.