Dropshot or jighead

Itsdrew93

Hi im just wondering whats better to use in the winter to catch the most fish im mainly fishing for perch but really dont mind just want to know the best way to catch fish and lots of them shall i use dropshot or jighead

Thank you.

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi, what type of venue?
Both work in winter and both need to be worked slowly and I mean slowly.
Drop shot will be most effective as can be slowly drawn along bottom and twitched.
I ask about venue as dropshot cannot be cast very far. In this case use lightest jig head possible for distance and depth. Cast and let it hit bottom, leave it for 30 seconds up to 5 mins then twitch it and let it sit again etc etc.
One cast can last twenty minutes or so.
Then theres lure size - Oddly bigger sizes can work better in winter.
Energy verses effort is how I see it from a predators point of view.

Itsdrew93

Hi, what type of venue?
Both work in winter and both need to be worked slowly and I mean slowly.
Drop shot will be most effective as can be slowly drawn along bottom and twitched.
I ask about venue as dropshot cannot be cast very far. In this case use lightest jig head possible for distance and depth. Cast and let it hit bottom, leave it for 30 seconds up to 5 mins then twitch it and let it sit again etc etc.
One cast can last twenty minutes or so.
Then theres lure size - Oddly bigger sizes can work better in winter.
Energy verses effort is how I see it from a predators point of view.
Thank you mate im just fishing shallow rivers and normal canals went this morning for afew hours didnt even get a bite maybe i should of went for a bigger lure thank you tho

centerpin fan

I’m a jig fan. In cold water, hair/feathers can often be better than plastic. Lighter jigs are usually better, too. I like 1/64oz or 1/32 oz. (I think that’s about .5 or 1 gm, but check my math.) :)

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
Another jigging question but if the water is clear, is jigging a better bet than drop shotting? And vice versa for cloudy water? Or is the choice all about where your bites are happening with a jig (ie on the drop = swap to drop shot? On the bottom stick to the jig?)

rudd

Site Supporter
Another jigging question but if the water is clear, is jigging a better bet than drop shotting? And vice versa for cloudy water? Or is the choice all about where your bites are happening with a jig (ie on the drop = swap to drop shot? On the bottom stick to the jig?)
Its all about finding what the fish want.
Some days they are willing to chase a bait, on others they will examine a bait and reject if it does not look right.
Would also recommend a few mepps aquila spinners in your box.

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
Its all about finding what the fish want.
Some days they are willing to chase a bait, on others they will examine a bait and reject if it does not look right.
Thanks, I've got a couple of ondex ones.
I presume I'm right in thinking that if I've caught silvers at the same location in the summer there'll be perch there in the winter?

rudd

Site Supporter
I presume I'm right in thinking that if I've caught silvers at the same location in the summer there'll be perch there in the winter?
Perch like structure so they can ambush prey.
This includes drop offs and deeper water as they use low light conditions to their advantage.
My thought is that Perch like to look upwards and attack from underneath.
This is based on having more success using live baits set at mid water depth than fished near the bottom and why so many bites come on the drop using lures.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

Mepps Aquila's No3's, can't beat them. I usually tie some wool round the treble to disguise the hooks and dress them up a bit like this one. I find red works best. I know this is a No4 but it gives you the idea. Using the sink and draw method of retrieve, it can produce where other methods and spinners fail.

1577000491977.png

rudd

Site Supporter
Mepps Aquila's No3's, can't beat them. I usually tie some wool round the treble to disguise the hooks and dress them up a bit like this one. I find red works best. I know this is a No4 but it gives you the idea. Using the sink and draw method of retrieve, it can produce where other methods and spinners fail.

1577000491977.png
I agree, also in early summer Perch will hit them if fished fast along the surface.