Dropped a clanger, I think.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Grind them up, save a few. Ground goes into a method/feeder mix and band the expander onto the hook. Good combination when the fish are hovvering up off bottom.

CarpCatcher86

Given that expanders float before being pumped/soaked, using them un pumped banded on the hook would, I'm guessing, result in a neutrally buoyant bait.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Could I use them as loose feed as well as trying to use them on the hook when waggler fishing?
Not that brand, as they need pumping to sink
If you do get anymore then the sonu pro expanders give you a bit more versatility, in terms of an overnight soak and they are good to go and for the waggler too.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Given that expanders float before being pumped/soaked, using them un pumped banded on the hook would, I'm guessing, result in a neutrally buoyant bait.
Not neutral no, with a size 16/14 feeder hook they pop up, if used with a 4 inch hooklength on the method, they pop up just right. The days where you get indications, but no wrap rounds, works well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Could I use them as loose feed as well as trying to use them on the hook when waggler fishing?
Yep just another case of fishing what you feed just the same as maggots, casters, hemp etc 👍🏻

Obviously need pumping first if they are floaters although tbh it’s worth pumping the feed even if they are sinkers so it matches your hook bait.

CarpCatcher86

Of course I know they need pumping to make them sink.
To be more specific, even if I am not able to use them on the hook, once properly prepared could I use them as loose feed along with 2 4 or 6mm hard pellets? I feel stupid for buying them now, and I certainly have no intention of wasting them. I just feel a little disappointed that with the amount of time I spent researching expanders before buying them, I didn't find anything that mentioned they are better suited to being shipped out under a pole rig as opposed to being cast out with a waggler.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I used expanders yesterday on a 8m whip with no trouble. Used the 4.5mm spotted fin jobbies . I have a very small lidded tub that l fill with about 100 dry pellets, which almost fills the tub. Then l add liquid to fill the tub put the top on and leave overnight. They swell up to fill the tub and go very rubbery. Used a 16 round bend hook, rolled one onto the hook and cast out to about 15 m. Had a few casts with the same pellet on quite a few times. Fired out hard pellets, about 4 to 6 every 5 minutes. Caught about 40lb small carp ,crucians ,a few skimmers and one rudd on the drop. So yes you can cast with them.

CarpCatcher86

I used expanders yesterday on a 8m whip with no trouble. Used the 4.5mm spotted fin jobbies . I have a very small lidded tub that l fill with about 100 dry pellets, which almost fills the tub. Then l add liquid to fill the tub put the top on and leave overnight. They swell up to fill the tub and go very rubbery. Used a 16 round bend hook, rolled one onto the hook and cast out to about 15 m. Had a few casts with the same pellet on quite a few times. Fired out hard pellets, about 4 to 6 every 5 minutes. Caught about 40lb small carp ,crucians ,a few skimmers and one rudd on the drop. So yes you can cast with them.
Do expanders end up being tougher if you soak them over night rather than pumping them in a few seconds?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I believe so. But you have to stop them expanding. There is a video by Jamie Hughes on winning ways that shows how he puts them in the corner of a plastic bag adds a very small amount of water tjen spins it up so they can't expand. He makes to many and throws a lot away but l use a very small lidded tub that holds 120 or so 4.5m pellets that is perfect for me. The idea is to make them firm and rubbery as they will expand once on the hook and in the water.

AlfieBass

I use an small plastic film canister and leave Pro expanders in the fridge overnight. Half fI’ll the canister with pellets and top up with cold water.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
A few seasons back I had a run of results fishing paste over expanders (it was actually Ringers green expanders, which they no longer sell to the best of my knowledge) pump them, keep them quite wet so they are very soft, feed with a cup and fish paste over the top.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Now you mention it I quite like making paste out of mushed expanders. Almost resets to like a moulded pellet.