Dropped a clanger, I think.

CarpCatcher86

I think I have but hope I haven't made a huge mistake.
After reading so much and hearing so much conversation on the subject of expanders, I bought three bags each of 4 and 6mm Dynamite Baits original ammo expanders, plus the same F1 sweet expanders.
Today while talking to a mate, he just happened to mention expanders are deadly on the pole, not so good on the waggler as it's tricky to get them to stay on the hook.
Not a problem, sell the expanders (which are still in date and stick with banded pellets of which I also have plenty. Slight problem, even though the expanders have a use by date of 06/2023, they are no longer in their original bags. I emptied each bag in to air tight containers and hid them away, hoping it might prolong the use by date as I didn't know if they would be used in time to due to covid restrictions.
So, have I wasted my money or is there something I can do with 12 bags of unopened but air sealed expanders?
Can they be ground down or pumped and added to groundbait or used as loose feed?
Sorry if this is a silly question but I have never used or bought expanders before.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You can still use expanders on the hook with rod and line, you just need to be careful how you process them, use just enough soaking time so they swell up and take on water but don't get too soft and mushy.
You can also add gelatine or flavoured jellys to the process and make jelly-pellets ;)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Are they the type of expanders that need pumping? If so, I have used them on the waggler to about 4 rod lengths out. Again if using on the waggler, put gelatine into the water and let it melt, stir it then pump the expanders through it making jelly pellets. They stay on the hook really well. If you do this, you can add colour/flavouring too just before pumping. Drain them off and put them in a air tight container in the fridge over-night. Another way to use them is to put them through a blitzer to get a powder, then you can make a paste.

EDIT
@Dave beat me to it on the jelly pellet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not used expanders regularly on the hook for years but used to use them a lot and get plenty roach, rudd, skimmers and carp on them, always on waggler. As Dave says you just have to get the preparation right to get the right consistency for them to stay on the hook.

NJ1875

Site Supporter
That’s a lot of expanders :LOL:. If your not going to use them on the hook and can’t sell them then I think your best bet is to grind them down and add them to your ground bait.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Yeah EARTH is a long way away 🙄
I wish people would at least put a county so we would know if they were close, yes l know Yorkshire is the biggest county😁

CarpCatcher86

Thanks for all the replies guys. I also bought a ringers pellet pump for £20 I think at the same time. I didn't like the idea of messing about soaking pellets the night before when they can be done in seconds on the bank. I have made the mistake of preparing certain baits the night before, only to wake up in the morning and find it throwing it down with rain, leaving me with a load of ready to use bait and no chance to use it.
I know it might seem a little silly to buy so many at once having never used them before, but I found them a little cheaper than normal with a three year ish use by date, the same goes for a load of pellets and groundbait I found and bought at the same time.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The Sonubait Pro, Ready to Use expanders are a lot firmer & should stay on the hook of waggler fishing. Also - Spotted Fin have just brought out some new ones, already prepared.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
On the waggler be prepared to use a large hook (14 or even 12) and also a heavier float that with other baits.

The larger hook helps hold the pellet. The pellet should be sitting in the bend of the hook. The heavier waggler means you don't have to put a lot of effort into the cast thus helping the pellet stay in place.

I prepare all my expanders in gelatine and this certainly makes them firmer. I would have thought good for the waggler.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Personally I'd blitz them up and mix in with groundbait, means you can buy less groundbait for a while.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
You can always use them on the feeder - straight out the packet on a bait band. Can we a deadly popup on the method.