Drop shot weights.

jimbo1946

Few hours on my local canal yesterday.Usual suspects ,perch 6 to 10 oz.Got to thinking about rigs and presentation.Why do all the self appointed 'experts' repeatedly tell us to always use the lightest weight we can get away with.Whatever that means.3 grm seems to be the ideal.Well in my experience that is plain wrong.I much prefer a heavier weight to anchor the rig.This gives you a solid resistance to work the rod tip against and gives more control over the amount of action you impart to the lure.I use 7 to 10 grm even in 4ft of water. I dont want the weight bouncing about on the bottom. Is there any benefit to very light weights that l am unaware of? Always prepared to learn.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Few hours on my local canal yesterday.Usual suspects ,perch 6 to 10 oz.Got to thinking about rigs and presentation.Why do all the self appointed 'experts' repeatedly tell us to always use the lightest weight we can get away with.Whatever that means.3 grm seems to be the ideal.Well in my experience that is plain wrong.I much prefer a heavier weight to anchor the rig.This gives you a solid resistance to work the rod tip against and gives more control over the amount of action you impart to the lure.I use 7 to 10 grm even in 4ft of water. I dont want the weight bouncing about on the bottom. Is there any benefit to very light weights that l am unaware of? Always prepared to learn.
I agree with you. I like to be able to fish the bait in one spot as long as I choose to, especially in late autumn and winter, when slow fishing produce more fish. I have found that to be difficult with weights below 10 gram. Even using the lightest of rods.