Driving pet hates

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My list would be long and probably upset too many others.

But I do want to say well done to the driver who nearly hit my 11 yo granddaughter yesterday. She was part of a school organised cycling proficiency class with two instructors. Yet some idiot driver decided to turn across their path without indicating. Instructor praised my granddaughter for dealing with the incident well, said she did nothing wrong and apportioned blame entirely on the car driver.

Fireblade929

Site Supporter
People who are far to important to queue up like the rest of us, preferring to just push in, cut you up, use the wrong lane and dive in front of you.

People who drive with the wing mirrors folded in, why the manufacturers can't build in an "Auto Opening" mirror once the speed reaches 10mph but can market a folding mirror as safety feature is beyond me.

smiffy

Site Supporter
My pet hate is motorway, or duel carriageway, drivers that don’t know the rules. Specifically that the right hand lanes are for overtaking only🤬🤬 not for sitting in because “you like the middle lane best”. Especially if you’re only doing between 50 and 60.
People that lose their bottle joining a motorway. You’re supposed to match the speed of the traffic as you join. Not faff around braking and dawdling at 40mph🤬🤬

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
One little 'irk' of mine is; when waiting at red traffic lights, they change to red and amber and people drive off. It is surprising how many people actually believe that red and amber means go, or at least get ready to go. It doesn't. It means stop (or stay stopped).

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
...and another one is when driving e.g. in a 30mph zone, those who slam their foot down as soon as a higher limit sign becomes visible in the distance.
You should remain at 30mph until you pass the sign.

RMNDIL

Those annoying bluish headlights that unexpectedly flash and dazzle me as a car approaches at night, or makes me paranoid I'm being followed by the rozzers when they're behind.

Some modern cars with indicators designed to be so discreet, they no longer serve any practical purpose.

Being expected to follow lane instructions during rush hour - written on the road!!! Which knobhead thought that would be a good idea???

Temporary traffic-lights even though the job was finished yesterday - or doesn't start until tomorrow.

Temporary three-way traffic-lights, with the green-light time divided equally between the very busy east-bound traffic, the not so busy west-bound traffic, and that effin' cul-de-sac where absolutely no traffic ever emerges from.
Spot on. That's saved me making a list.....

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Those drivers who want to turn right onto a busy road who do not realise that I have stopped to let them out. I am not waving or sounding my horn to say hello!!!
Had one of those yesterday.
Flashed the lights - nothing.
Waved an arm - nothing.
Honked the horn - nothing.
Having slowed down for the daft woman I had by now half a dozen drivers on the 50 mph road wondering what the hell I was doing as I went passed Dolly Daydream in her Nissan trying to turn right out of a side road.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Ooh, ooh, just remembered another one.
My fishing and general purpose ex Gas Tranny is limited to 70 mph. There's a little round sticker on the back telling people that.
On a dual carriage way (strictly speaking the van is limited to 60 on such a road unless it's an M-way) I'm in lane 2 doing 70 as there's lorries and vans in lane 1 nose to tail at 54-56.
Mr. (insert make of German car here) is hanging on my rear bumper giving me the full flashing headlight treatment.
Ucking fidiot doesn't seem able to comprehend that 70 means 70.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Not indicating. (it's not just BMWs)
Not looking. (Phone, satnav, make-up, smoking, chatting, whatever)
Using a roundabout as an overtaking opportunity.
Under-taking.
Blocking box junctions.
Stopping wherever they fancy.
Pulling out without looking.
Parking like a knobhead.

...and so forth. :)

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
My biggest pet hate is when someone parallel parks between to cars, somewhere they’re not supposed to be and puts their hazards on to make them exempt from all rules.
I wish people would realise that you can only see the indicators on one side of the car and it looks like you want to pull out.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Tell you what would make for better car drivers ….. make everyone take their motorcycle license test first. Then they would be more aware of what was going on around them.
This - or even UKZero1's suggestion of the cycling proficiency test.

My pet hates include drivers failing to turn off full beam headlights and drivers who have one speed (around 40 mph) whether they are driving out of town in a 60 zone or in a village in a 30.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
This - or even UKZero1's suggestion of the cycling proficiency test.

My pet hates include drivers failing to turn off full beam headlights and drivers who have one speed (around 40 mph) whether they are driving out of town in a 60 zone or in a village in a 30.

Agree mate. Those new Xenon lights on the electric / hybrid cars are retina burning. And that’s without full beam on. Brilliant for the driver not so good if you’re coming the other way. 🙄