Driving pet hates

TrickyD

Site Supporter
People who seem incapable of operating parking brake anymore so they sit blinding you with three brake lights.
In my car it has auto hold, put the brakes on and they stay on , even if you take your foot off the brake pedal, only releases when you pull away and I only found out a few days ago that the brake lights stay on all that time. It has an electronic hand brake. My kids passed their tests in the last 10 years, they are taught NOT to use the hand brake at a junction.

Total

Site Supporter
My one pet hate is when you pull to one side or stop at a gap to allow another motorist through and they don't have the decency to acknowledge you.

It's got to the point now where I pick and choose which ones I'll give way to to politely let them through as I can without a doubt guess the ones that will drive straight past as though I didn't exist.
It takes a second to raise a hand and 'say' thanks, but unfortunately that act is beyond a lot of people.
go-blue-yay.gif

Browner

Site Supporter
I once had a guy in a 4x4 overtake me when I was in lane 3. The motorway towards Bristol use to have a wide gravel area before the central barrier. As usual on a weekday morning the all lanes of the motorway was busy but moving steadily. This guy comes racing up behind me and decides he can get past on the gravel. Unbelievable. He was going at a fair lick too. Never seen anything to beat it.

Browner

Site Supporter
In my car it has auto hold, put the brakes on and they stay on , even if you take your foot off the brake pedal, only releases when you pull away and I only found out a few days ago that the brake lights stay on all that time. It has an electronic hand brake. My kids passed their tests in the last 10 years, they are taught NOT to use the hand brake at a junction.
My car has autohold and only found out at the weekend what is does. The car has so many gizmos that I don’t know what half of them do.

peterb

Site Supporter
One thing that irritates me is not a driving pet hate but a parking hate , I will always if possible park well away from others in a supermarket carpark partly because I drive a coupe and it gives me more room to open its long doors but also to avoid people who are careless when they open their doors , it usually means a longer walk to the shop or whatever . But you can guarantee that some divot will come and park right next to me , it happened this morning loads of space around me but they had to squeeze in .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How's this for one since Covid... drivers with 'cloud' vapes... I'm a smoker so more of a worry than a pet hate... makes me wind the window up though.

Silver fan 82

I hate to say it, but I see HGV lorries every day on the motorway, pulling out without indicating or looking in their mirrors to see who may be in lane 2 or if it’s possible for a car to be able to move over to lane 3. And the number of times I get a lorry tailgating me in a restricted speed limit/average speed limit stretch is unbelievable.
Its not a pop a HGV drivers, car drivers and bikers are all as bad as each other, I‘m not perfect.
There seems to be a “get out of my way attitude and I don’t care about anyone else attitude “.
Having spent the last 20+ years driving 100,000’s of miles mainly on motorways, it’s the part of my job that I dislike the most.
Yeah true, I've seen it myself too. Really as "professional" drivers we should set an example really.

MrBen

Site Supporter
I’m guessing you drive a Mercedes? That’s definitely not a feature in all vehicles. Why would you not use a park brake whilst stationary at a junction, if it’s check and go I could see why not, but traffic lights when it’s definitely on red.

There’s another one amber gamblers. It’s turned amber with plenty of time to stop but no they are going to change getting through before the red.

Silver fan 82

Mini roundabouts.... The painted dot type ones.
Why is it when approaching one do most people seem to have a brain fart moment? More so than normal roundabouts. Usually ends up in a free for all because most people seem to forget how to use a roundabout.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I’m guessing you drive a Mercedes? That’s definitely not a feature in all vehicles. Why would you not use a park brake whilst stationary at a junction, if it’s check and go I could see why not, but traffic lights when it’s definitely on red.
VW, but had the same on my last car-a Kia. It is strange to start with,but you get used to it and it is rather useful. I always rode the clutch before, but would use the hand brake if I was stationary for any great time. As I said earlier, when my kids were learning, they were told to keep their foot on the brake, not use a hand brake. These electronic brakes are becoming commonplace even on basic models.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Trusty T4, though utterly reliable, was not built for speed, this I have got used to, cruises at 70 on the motorways, but your more likely to find on all other roads it will sit at around 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit in force, EG 50 in a 60

the amount of drivers that try to push me to go faster, aggresively tailgating etc is always a wonder to me

I once saw another VW with a sticker on the back that stated "if it was meant to go fast, it wouldnt be shaped like a brick"

Total

Site Supporter
My Trusty T4, though utterly reliable, was not built for speed, this I have got used to, cruises at 70 on the motorways, but your more likely to find on all other roads it will sit at around 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit in force, EG 50 in a 60

the amount of drivers that try to push me to go faster, aggresively tailgating etc is always a wonder to me

I once saw another VW with a sticker on the back that stated "if it was meant to go fast, it wouldnt be shaped like a brick"
Mobile aviaries ain't meant to go any faster!;):giggle:

Tristar

Site Supporter
My main pet hates are using a mobile whilst driving, either textin or phoning. "School run" cars driving half a mile to School and the biggest peeve of all is tailgaters.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Tailgaters.
Non indicators.
People charging down slip roads ignoring or ignorant what that dotted white line at the end means.
People turning right into a road off a busy road that you're trying to turn out of. Why can't they lose fifteen seconds out of their lives and let you out first.
People who insist on turning their rear fog lights on at night in clear weather.
People not turning their lights on during rain. It's so that you can be seen moron, not for you to see where you're going. If you need wipers you need lights.

grey

Site Supporter
Those annoying bluish headlights that unexpectedly flash and dazzle me as a car approaches at night, or makes me paranoid I'm being followed by the rozzers when they're behind.

Some modern cars with indicators designed to be so discreet, they no longer serve any practical purpose.

Being expected to follow lane instructions during rush hour - written on the road!!! Which knobhead thought that would be a good idea???

Temporary traffic-lights even though the job was finished yesterday - or doesn't start until tomorrow.

Temporary three-way traffic-lights, with the green-light time divided equally between the very busy east-bound traffic, the not so busy west-bound traffic, and that effin' cul-de-sac where absolutely no traffic ever emerges from.

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having grown up travelling and driving for more of my life than a lot of others i think i've seen most of it but, the one thing that still riles me are the idiots who use lanes during the darker months and come to a complete standstill everytime they have to turn their main beam off because something is coming the other way 🤬🤬🤬

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
People turning right into a road off a busy road that you're trying to turn out of. Why can't they lose fifteen seconds out of their lives and let you out first.
Those drivers who want to turn right onto a busy road who do not realise that I have stopped to let them out. I am not waving or sounding my horn to say hello!!!

62tucker

Site Supporter
My main pet hates are using a mobile whilst driving, either textin or phoning. "School run" cars driving half a mile to School and the biggest peeve of all is tailgaters.
This came up on my YouTube
Like this or not a few of his videos made me laugh. Maybe if police walked down a few traffic jams and you got a warning for using phone it might make people stop doing it.
I think his dad was killed in a car crash and it’s his mission to report illegal driving by or drivers.