Driving pet hates

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What bugs you on the road?

I drive over a hundred miles a day finding different houses down roads I've never driven and find most drivers to be pretty good. Just a few pet hates though, I'm sure there's more but these are fresh in my mind, hopefully I can explain them clearly as none of them are illegal manoeuvres per se, just poor road sense and sometimes uncourteous.

- When cars are parked along one side of the road and cars need to keep to the left side of their lane to allow the traffic to flow. Then you get a car turning right who thinks he should be in the right side of his lane, usually almost clipping your wing mirror. It would be his right of way, but it's still courteous to to keep as far left as possible.

- On motorways or dual carriageways when you've been behind car for a while, then it goes and speeds up into the slower lane.

- When approaching a motorway slip junction, you're in the nearside 'slow' lane and try to leave a gap to enable cars to merge easily (I do this on some busy and tight junctions especially) and then someone decides to pull into the gap you've left just before cars start to merge in.

I've only ever been in involved in one accident and that was someone clipping my wing mirror, of course she and her husband blamed me. I told them I wasn't going to argue liability, but it happened with one mile of my home, so I've since made up the saying that 'most road accidents happen within 1 mile of home', though it's probably not true.

Last edited:

grumpy44

Site Supporter
you have got most of them. my pet one is people on dual carriage way that stick in outside lane when they know some people have to move over to carry straight on.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
What bugs me? Inconsiderate drivers that don't, or won't, give elderly people a chance to cross the road, even at designated crossings. Boy racers that rev engines at traffic lights while looking at another driver at the side of them. Those loud, popping exhausts and extra loud music banging out some sort of tune that you can't make out because of the volume level. Oh, and those that park in disabled bays when not even disabled just to be closer to the supermarket doors.

Old Man.gif

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Zerkalo mate. I’ve been driving 37 years and in that time I’ve seen it all. Best advice I could give is …. Ignore it. If you think about it too much it will do your head in. The same ‘ pet hates ‘ you’ve mentioned were all available years ago. You won’t change anything. Just look after yourself. Keep yourself out of trouble and let the idiots be the idiots.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a terrible passenger as I look for these things in everyones driving but I think it makes me a good or at least courteous driver. I've found myself saying to myself a lot recently over the last few days though, "Do I look good for tailgating or something?". My ex used to tailgate everyone. I think more people were doing it around the petrol crisis, stuck in traffic and in a hurry. I always say, "Doesn't get you anywhere any faster". Have even seen cars with stickers on the back, "The closer you get the slower I go". :LOL: I wouldn't go that far but it's another pet hate.

Silver fan 82

My pet hate is people not indicating on roundabouts. They expect you to be telepathic and to obviously know where they are going.
Being an HGV Driver I see alot out and about. Another is those that pull ot in front of the lorry and then just poodle along. I mean if you're going to pull out in front of me at least have the decency to put your ******* foot down!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's a nightmare driving around London with the amount of bikes that are about, I'm always careful of them, but down there you have to always be especially aware. I had one on a motorway elsewhere, I pulled over to let him overtake and then he started swerving purposefully from left to right in front of me, I wondered if he was trying to tell me something about my driving and driving in a straight line? :LOL:

peterb

Site Supporter
Tell you what would make for better car drivers ….. make everyone take their motorcycle license test first. Then they would be more aware of what was going on around them.
This is so true , when I am about to change lanes I always look over my shoulder to see if there are cars in my blind spot , something you do instinctively on a motorbike .

Pompous git

Site Supporter
People who seem incapable of operating parking brake anymore so they sit blinding you with three brake lights.
Guilty as charged m`lud.

Tell you what would make for better car drivers ….. make everyone take their motorcycle license test first. Then they would be more aware of what was going on around them.
Yep, even a push bike gives you a better understanding.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My one pet hate is when you pull to one side or stop at a gap to allow another motorist through and they don't have the decency to acknowledge you.

It's got to the point now where I pick and choose which ones I'll give way to to politely let them through as I can without a doubt guess the ones that will drive straight past as though I didn't exist.
It takes a second to raise a hand and 'say' thanks, but unfortunately that act is beyond a lot of people.

nejohn

Site Supporter
One that annoys me is someone that is continually changing lanes on a motorway, ie overtake someone then immediately pull into the left lane only to drive a 100yds then indicate to overtake again and obviously just because they are indicating gives them the right to pull out no matter what is behind them. I know you shouldn't hog a lane but I would rather have someone that stays in the middle lane overtaking slower traffic than someone weaving in and out every 100 yds

Browner

Site Supporter
My pet hate is people not indicating on roundabouts. They expect you to be telepathic and to obviously know where they are going.
Being an HGV Driver I see alot out and about. Another is those that pull ot in front of the lorry and then just poodle along. I mean if you're going to pull out in front of me at least have the decency to put your ******* foot down!
I hate to say it, but I see HGV lorries every day on the motorway, pulling out without indicating or looking in their mirrors to see who may be in lane 2 or if it’s possible for a car to be able to move over to lane 3. And the number of times I get a lorry tailgating me in a restricted speed limit/average speed limit stretch is unbelievable.
Its not a pop a HGV drivers, car drivers and bikers are all as bad as each other, I‘m not perfect.
There seems to be a “get out of my way attitude and I don’t care about anyone else attitude “.
Having spent the last 20+ years driving 100,000’s of miles mainly on motorways, it’s the part of my job that I dislike the most.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey there’s loads. People not indicating, people needlessly overtaking on single carriageways even when you aren’t going slow, people getting way too close to the back of you, people driving ridiculously slow or fast, people not letting you out at junctions (if everyone lets 1 out it keeps it flowing!) and people parking so badly that you either can’t get in or out, just to name a few.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One that annoys me is someone that is continually changing lanes on a motorway, ie overtake someone then immediately pull into the left lane only to drive a 100yds then indicate to overtake again and obviously just because they are indicating gives them the right to pull out no matter what is behind them. I know you shouldn't hog a lane but I would rather have someone that stays in the middle lane overtaking slower traffic than someone weaving in and out every 100 yds
I think some drivers must do that to try to make a point. I agree with you though.