Driving licence in date?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Not sure when the new licences (credit card size) came in to force but on the local BBC it has been reported that many drivers are now carrying out of date licences - DVLA statistics indicate around two million!
The credit card ones last ten year's from issue box 4a,
box 4b is expiry date

It is an offence not to have a vaild licence whilst driving which could also invalidate your insur and land you with a £1000.00 fine!

62tucker

Site Supporter
If you find your license is just out of date there is a 6 month extension due to covid

2ts

Site Supporter
Good call,mine expires 11-10-20,never gave it a thought.

John Step

Site Supporter
I have received a letter from the DVLA to remind me. Obviously some people ignore letters or fail to notify of change of address?

2ts

Site Supporter
Been on Gov.org website,i have NOT recieved any reminder whatsoever and they have my correct address details,the site says no replacement licences are being issued due to covid,but there is an 11 month renewal extension from date of expiry if your licence was due to expire between 1st Feb 2020-31st Dec 2020.
Check these details for yourself.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yes, I was running about with an out of date license for nearly 12 months before I saw a clip of a woman on TV that had been pulled over by the police interceptors and didn’t have an up to date license. If you have the old style and you haven’t moved address then I believe you don’t need to update. Or unless you get points on your license.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is referring to if you only have a paper licence, if you have a photo card licence the paper bit is redundant.
That is correct, they no longer issue the paper details of convictions as they can now be found on line.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Legal till you're 70 and have no undeclared changes like address.

Yep, as I had my 70th birthday two Sundays ago I did the new licence thing on line and received it the day before my birthday. The new one is valid for three years.