Driving after Brexit....

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just had a read of some interesting stuff and i can't help but wonder how many people won't know about the changes to driving abroad after we leave.

For example, you have to, by law have a GB sticker on your vehicle, this has to be a white oval with black letters any other is illegal, you'll also need to put on on any trailers or caravans etc you are towing... failure to do so could affect any insurance claims!

You'll also need to pay to get a permit to drive abroad you'll have to supply your photocard drving licence, a passport photo and the fee, without it you cannot drive abroad!
If you are going to Ireland, Malte, Spain or Cyprus you'll need to ask for the 1949 IDP, if you are going anywhere else within the EU you'll need the 1968 IDP if you get the wrong one you could be in trouble!

The "ignorance of the law" defence is also to be abolished, after 31/10/19 it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they have checked and understand the laws for the country they are travelling to.

H T B

Site Supporter
After Brexit, how many GB number plates will be targeted by the local constabulary ?
I'd suggest taking plenty of folding stuff with you [or don't go for a while ;) ]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
OMG I didnt realise that, now I wish I'd voted Remain :eek:

Hang on a sec, I seldom drive abroad and if I do I use a reputable hire company, phew, I was really scared there for a moment

:p

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Remainers drive on the right, Leavers drive on the left. Everybody's happy ! :) (y)

johng19

me@home.com
Is that going to be the same here for them.
Think you will find it only if you take your own car.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I already got my permit for when we were meant to leave earlier in the year, also cost £300 on unnecessary rabies titre tests for the dogs, I am fed up with it all, but sadly it’s not going away anytime soon!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
IDP £5:50p at the Post Office, GB sticker 60p

Like i said, i wonder how many won't know that!

Dont know Why things like this with me go in the ****it Tray.

Probably for the same reason i do that with anything to do with the London mayor.. it doesn't affect me so i don't care.

Leaving the EU will make no difference, skoda drivers couldn`t drive before and will not be able to drive after.

It's the same with the rest of the VAG owners.....VW, Audi, Porsche, Seat, Scania, MAN, Bentley, Bugati, Ducati and Lamborghini

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is that going to be the same here for them.
Think you will find it only if you take your own car.

I doubt they'll have to go through the same thing mate.... only us because we like "fair play" and aren't stomping our feet and sulking like the EU is.

I'm assuming as you are having to fit a GB sticker to the back of the vehicle then yes it will be if you are in your own car.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Ireland have already said they will allow things to continue as they are due to the large number of UK registered vehicles already over there....your insurance company may require you to get a green card replacement if you travel there, don't know about the continent but I very much doubt they will want to hit the tourist trade.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ireland have already said they will allow things to continue as they are due to the large number of UK registered vehicles already over there....your insurance company may require you to get a green card replacement if you travel there, don't know about the continent but I very much doubt they will want to hit the tourist trade.

If that's Northern Ireland than they'll have no choice mate as they are still part of the UK and as such not in the EU, if it is the Republic they will have to follow the laws set by the EU and enforce the GB sticker and IDP, although i can't really see the guards giving a damn unless they are anti British.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
We usually stay in the North but travel into the South to fish a few venues so the question has been asked a few times now.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm off over there in November and i've asked a few of my free state friends and they have no idea what's going to happen, our very own @kevin o connor is the same...although to be honest he never knows what's happening EVER :D

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm off over there in November and i've asked a few of my free state friends and they have no idea what's going to happen, our very own @kevin o connor is the same...although to be honest he never knows what's happening EVER :D
Hold on a minute ! Your own Queen , Prime Minister and all the M.P's don't know whats going to happen ! Your top civil servants don't know whats going to happen , and you expect me to !!!!!!!!

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ok, this is what is going to happen ! Boris will ask for another extension and the whole thing will be put on the long finger. By the time Britain actually leave, we will all be transporting to any where we want to go by matter transportation . But and it's a big but , all brits will have to wear a gb sticker on their right arm .

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
It's the same with the rest of the VAG owners.....VW, Audi, Porsche, Seat, Scania, MAN, Bentley, Bugati, Ducati and Lamborghini

Thanks for the clarification.
Thought you were criticising lady drivers there.

o_O;)