Dripping drain pipe

Chervil

Site Supporter
The drain pipe by our porch has always dripped from the joints. Unfortunately there is a coach lamp below it, the top of which has turned white over the years. My good lady has decreed that she wants me to replace it with a silver one which will shine up and down. Which obviously means that she will want the other 5, both front and back, changed as well!
Before I embark on this mission, can anyone advise me as to the best way to stop it dripping. I have looked at sealants, but wondered if anyone had any better ideas/advice.
IMG_20190802_091721938.jpg

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
A common cause of leaks from down pipes is improper installation

the socket (female) should always face upwards with the spigot (male) entering from above

if best practice is not adhered too, capillery action will ensure a leak,

a easy fix is to dissasemble what you have there, clean and roughen the mating surfaces and use a good quality mastic or non setting gutter sealant

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I'm no expert. ( far from it ! ) But if the pipe joints are actually leaking then sealant should fix it. I'm thinking that it might be rain landing on the outside of the pipe that is being channeled down the joint lines. You could maybe redirect this with a bit of half-pipe stuck up underneath?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any sealant you use needs to be UV stable otherwise it will break down, come loose, and start leaking again.

Use CT1 or Soudall Fix All high tack

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I put a bit of Flashband around mine about 6 years ago ....still working although its not the nicest solution looks wise.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Look at down pipe like a river - the water flows down hill.

All the pipe and sections and joints need to have the upper one in the lower one, and going downhill.

If you have them the other way round water can come out, same as if you have them going uphill water can come out.
If everything is correct and water is still coming out of the pipe joints then the pipe is blocked.
If water is coming out of the gutter seals then the joints need opening up, cleaning, drying and putting back together ensuring the gasket is clean and in place also.
The gutter needs to overlap the gasket by at least 10mm and less than the stops on the joint piece.

If all is correct as above then a squirt of sealant on the gutter joint gaskets may fix it.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Is that a round hole in the guttering and a square down pipe ???
Yes it is, although it doesn't seem to be leaking from there and feeling inside, there is an insert that goes inside the down pipe for about an inch.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Check for blockages too, if water is backing up it will find any way out.
Too be honest I think it's just the way that they have been put together by the builders, they are all pretty slack around the whole house and looking around, all the neighbours are the same.