Driffield beck Mulberry whin

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher

Hi i am an angler interested in all kinds of fishing but have been very keen on my fly fishing for several years now. I have been lucky enough to fish mulberry whin successfully on all occasions. I would just like to offer my experience and advice to anyone who woul like it. cheers all

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
I remember my dad telling me,when I was a sprog,that Driffield Beck was a chalk stream,the only one in the North of England.Is
this right?

flyfisher

that would be true mate i believe there are of course the other becks that run off it such as foston beck and i believe mulberry whin is the ONLY day ticket stretch.
Have you ever fished it ?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Hi Ben!

I live close to there, and it's a beautiful stream.

At 60 a day (current prices) it would have to be a special treat.
Is it worth it?

I would have to disagree with the descriptive blurb on the Yahoo! search page:

"Mulberry Whin offers chalkstream fly fishing. Located in the North of England in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales flyfishing has never been so good..."
[:D]

flyfisher

in reply too you dave it is n incredibly beautiful stream and i would say that as a treat yes it probably is worth it. I went at the weekend and had 15 fish mostly browns and a cracking grayling on the dry about 2 pound. I would have to say that this year although the river is in beautiful condition at the moment the fishing can be quite frustrating. The size of the fish have improved slightly but the average size i would say is about a pound/pound and half. last month had a 9 pound plus escapee rainbow however :D. Grayling fishing is cheaper in early season and later on and between you and me the fishing then is nearly as good just with less of a rise you still catch trout. The party i go with is featured on the site somewhere we usually top abut 30 odd between us.
Brian the older owner is a lovely chap and his son who runs it is fine aswell.
Let me know if you choose to fish it and anything ican do to help i will.
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.