Drennen series 7 Avon rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrw55555

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of purchasing the Drennan Avon rod and cant make my mind up with one to buy the 1 1/4lb test curve or the 1 1/2lb test curve?

I have saved my pennies for these and I don't want to buy the wrong one I mainly fish for carp in my local lake from 6lb up to low doubles with odd larger carp coming my way and also the odd large roach and bream so I dont want to under gunned with the 1 1/4lb TC or over gunned with the 1 1/2lb TC and not feel the silver fish

I will mainly be using the float tip as I only fish the method once in a while.

Any comments and suggestions will be gratefully recieved

Many thanks

Mark

getfishing

Pete
Go for the 1 1/4lb tc because if there aren't any big snags it should be quite capable and it should be fine with bream and roach. If you go for the lighter one it should still be fine for bigger fish but a the heavier one won't be very good for the littler stuff.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I bought a Drennen 13ft DRX Carp Waggler rod a few years ago and while it is a very nice actioned rod, I really struggled with carp over about 5lbs. I used it at Hayfields Doncaster and it just seemed to bottom out on the larger fish, so I would recommend you to go for the stronger rod. I had to fork out again for a stronger rod, a MAP CFS 12ft 1.6lb test curve, had no trouble since.

Mutley

I would go 1 1/4, i use the same weight rods from a different company, and have had carp over 20lb, big bream and tench down to roach and perch.
It's a nice middle of the road test curve in my opinion

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

I bought a Drennen 13ft DRX Carp Waggler rod a few years ago and while it is a very nice actioned rod, I really struggled with carp over about 5lbs. I used it at Hayfields Doncaster and it just seemed to bottom out on the larger fish, so I would recommend you to go for the stronger rod. I had to fork out again for a stronger rod, a MAP CFS 12ft 1.6lb test curve, had no trouble since.
That was only a waggler rod to be fair not a avon rod.

greentura

Greenie
1 1/4lb[:T] unless your after bigger barbel it should cope with fish in to double figures and still be entertaining with silvers[:T] i have a pair of drennan ledgermasters for bream and tench that are 11'4" and 1 1/4 lb and coped with carp to 15lb when needed. don't see why the new ones couldn't too[:T] it's not all about the test curve but more about how it absorbs the fishes lunges while playing it. avons should have an action that makes them bend right through to the handle with a smooth progressive curve right round. personally i prefer a lighter rod, more fun[;)]

Last edited:

richox12

What the hell has a 13' DRX Carp Waggler got to do with an Avon/Quiver and how the hell can you make ANY comparison ???? Misleading or what ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.