Drennen Acolyte 18" landing net

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Can agree with Jasonb on that one. I have the 14” and it’s a good net and shallower than my speedex and about right for F1’s.
Still quite a large mesh size makes it easy to manoeuvre in the water.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've had mine for quite a while. Spot on for most of my river fishing, which tends to revolve around trout, grayling and dace.
I think that the hook resistant thing is similar to the difference between a genuinely waterproof garment and a water resistant one.
If a hook, even a barbed one happens to penetrate certain sections (the straight bits between joins) of the mesh, it'll come out really easily. However, should you catch the mesh on, or near the join, it'll be just as much of a PITA as any other net.

richox12

Have used a 14" since they came out. Brilliant for silvers and I use small barbed hooks. Never had one which wouldn't EASILY come out. No cutting etc. That said I rarely get one caught in it unlike the Matchpro version where I was always cutting hooks out which were transferred by roach and skimmers

Paul.P

Seems none of you use these for commercial carping, which is what i'll be using it for, thing is, the nets I have been using I find are to deep, so any recommendations are welcome ?

mbuna_matt

I'd swap for a net suitable for hair rigs. I tried the acolyte but found the spines on the dorsal fin got caught up in the mesh very easily. My acolyte is now a rivers net only as a result

Matt

marcusp

I have the 14,16 and 18. yes hooks still get caught in them occasionalybut come out easily.
the biggest issue ive had with them is trying to put a carp in a keepnet. The fish never wants to come out the landing net as they keep swimming into the bottom of the net. Good strong nets though with a good spreader block. The large holed mesh isnt suitable for hair rigs though. Fishing a banded pellet on a pw you snap to many

Paul.P

Ok guys, so you've convinced me the acolyte net is not what I want for commercials, so what is ?, want something deep enough, but not to deep, & I do use a lot of hair rigs , advice more than welcome ?