Drennan Zircon Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingman

Anyone here the proud owner or have had a waggle with this?

There is a lengthy thread about it on Total Fishing but suprisingly no noise on this board.

I love Drennan products and use their rods for all my fishing. I also have a margin master margin pole which was excellent value.

I would like to hear what those of you who have tried the Zircon feel about it and any comparisons with other top of the range poles.

Cheers
Kingman

davepellet

Proud is the word, never having owned a flagship pole before I am unsurprisingly delighted with it

I've not fished with it yet, but I've had it up in the back garden at full length (after locking the kids in the house to avoid accidents)

it's a very nice pole, very light and stiff
the finish is fantastic
there's several variations of top kits available, but I like to keep things simple, so I've got mix of standard top 2's bungee top 2's

the grade of carbon of these two kits is the same, ie. the bungee kits aren't rated to bigger elastics than the standard kits, they are just shorter & wider bore, so without cutting back they'll obviously take a bigger elastic

I haven't handled any of the current flagship poles, but the tackle shop owner is a G10 owner & said the Drennan is lighter & has a better finish, he did say it's not quite as stiff as the G10, but as I've not handled one I couldn't say, all I know is it's the best pole I've ever held, better than the Icon, and certainly better (for me) than the garbo super legion

young un

Steve hemingray uses a Drennan Zircon pole the way he was holding it it looked light as I saw him using it at Evesham on Saturday

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
Bloody hell Dave how did you get the Mrs to agree to that. Or was it 300? wink, wink. lol

davepellet

let's just say I had to sacrifise a couple of chickens!!!
Matt, who you been talking to old pal?

Steve Hemingray was also using it at the fisho final I'm told, so if you've got that on dvd any clips of him fishing with it will show it's quality

Kingman

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am stuck in the old conundrum - Will it be significantly better than my Daiwa Spectron Competition?, which is an excellent pole, although mine is now 4 years old and starting to wear.

For 2k the Zircon needs to be both better (stiffer, lighter, better finish) and also be future proof (i.e. keep me going for another 4 years).

Any thoughts?

Kingman

davepellet

Matt, I've emailed you pal

were you insinuating that I'd fib to my wife about the price of a new pole?????

davepellet

Kingman, couldn't comment on how it compares to the spectron comp, cos I haven't seen one
but it compares very well against the garbo G10, lighter & better finish - and that's from someone who owns a G10

as for future proof, Drennan wouldn't release any product without it being supported for many years to come, they still stock spares for poles that were discontinued years ago

Kingman

Well I guess if it compares well against the Garbo G10 it must be special given given the good press the Garbo has had.

Its all a bit tenuous but my reasoning goes like this, garbo G10 is generally in the opinion of those who have waggled/owned them both, better than the Tourney Pro.

The Tourney Pro is arguably better than the Spectron, although its heavier, which to me is a problem.

On this basis the Drennan Zircon should be better than the Spectron.

Also the Drennan has a better spares package than the Preston 2G10 and the Maver Elite 57 and any other top of the range offering, so can be construed as offering the best value.

There, thats how easy it is to convince me, but that leaves one big problem, convincing her indoors is much harder!

I need to waggle one, any ideas on any stockists in east Anglia?

Cheers

Kingman

davepellet

Sorry mate, can't help you there
what I'd do is get in touch with your local Drennan dealer & ask them to contact the rep, he should be able to drop one into the shop for you to view (I think they carry samples)

Status
Not open for further replies.