Drennan vertex float rod.

Diablo88

Simple as . Are they any good ??. Anyone own or had a play. Dont look bad for the coin. Thanks lads.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only waggled them and didn’t really like the feel, seem bit cumbersome to me and have a fat blank for its price point. And that’s coming from someone that’s a big drennan fan! I honestly can’t believe it’s from the same company that makes float rods as good acolytes and matchpros as it’s so different.

Definitely worth the extra £60 for an acolyte (I love mine!) but if you do want to stick at the vertex price range it’s worth looking at the shimano aero x 5 as that feels a much better rod than the vertex. I have a Cadence CR10 #1 as well and that is also in the vertex price range and a better rod as well although I suspect the shimano might be slightly better again. Or at least looks smarter haha

Diablo88

Mmm. I've just been looking at various reviews after posting. Not a lot of love for them to be fair. I'm all in at about £150 ish. I would like something as an all rounder if possible. Silvers with the chance of landing a double if the occasion comes along.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Mmm. I've just been looking at various reviews after posting. Not a lot of love for them to be fair. I'm all in at about £150 ish. I would like something as an all rounder if possible. Silvers with the chance of landing a double if the occasion comes along.
Depending on where you are you might be able to find the shimano to have a waggle. The cadence is a bit of a gamble as you have to buy blind but there’s a chance they might do the silly deal on Black Friday that can make it worth the gamble. I basically stole mine last year!

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am with Silverfisher regarding the vertex float rods, the feeder rods are pretty good but the float rods just felt a bit numb and quite tip heavy, you can get a much better rod for the same money or even less, just done a quick search on ebay and found the one below. They are pretty good all round float rods and for £100 it is good value for money

davepellet

the Series 7 float rods (which the Vertex have replaced) had a relatively wide blank as well

the original S7 competition float was functional with a pretty good all-round action, but not the most inspiring rod, the S7 compact silver float rod (the one with the foot-long detatchable butt) was actually a much nicer rod, possibly because it only had one joint in front of the handle as opposed to 2

Difficult to be comment on the Vertex, as I've not handled one, but to be honest it would always feel a bit clunky when you're comparing it against the Acolyte

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
the Series 7 float rods (which the Vertex have replaced) had a relatively wide blank as well

the original S7 competition float was functional with a pretty good all-round action, but not the most inspiring rod, the S7 compact silver float rod (the one with the foot-long detatchable butt) was actually a much nicer rod, possibly because it only had one joint in front of the handle as opposed to 2

Difficult to be comment on the Vertex, as I've not handled one, but to be honest it would always feel a bit clunky when you're comparing it against the Acolyte
Would be acceptable if it just felt clunky compared to an acolyte but I'd say it also feels clunky compared to the old silverfish float as well. Is weird how they dropped the ball with the vertex float rods as like nejohn says the feeder rods feel pretty good, particularly the medium feeder.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They've just released plus versions as well as it happens. Hopefully they are just stiffer as if they are any fatter you'd barely get you hand around them 😉

Markus

I had a waggle and was not impressed. Too slow reaction. There are much better rods for that price.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Drennan Matchpro would suit your purpose. Mine have handled everything from gudgeon to 9lb barbel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
True if you can actually find a matchpro of some sort in stock somewhere it should be within budget

richox12

They've just released plus versions as well as it happens. Hopefully they are just stiffer as if they are any fatter you'd barely get you hand around them 😉

That's strange because when I put the 13ft Vertex float side by side with the S7 Silverfish in a shop the Vertex was both lighter & slimmer. No way was it fat. Doesn't compare to an Acolyte but then it shouldn't.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's strange because when I put the 13ft Vertex float side by side with the S7 Silverfish in a shop the Vertex was both lighter & slimmer. No way was it fat. Doesn't compare to an Acolyte but then it shouldn't.
It was a bit tongue in cheek, I don't recall it being any thicker than the silverfish just recall the action being nicer on the silverfish. Going back a few years since I've used a silverfish so might be a bit of rose tinted glasses. But the vertex still seems rather thick for a pushing £150 rod.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't know where you shop but 13ft Vertex are easily just £109.
Been discounted a bit then, a quick google suggests most places they are £120 now tbf but pretty sure they were £130 when they first came out. But yeah not really pushing £150 that tbf apologies for that but still pricey for how they feel. A cadence at £130 or a shimano a £140 are better feeling rods and even maver signature pros are going for £150 on bobco at the moment and they feel right up there with acolytes for quality.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I bought the 10' version from Bobco just a few weeks ago and gave it an outing on Tom's pond Trout bashing. It handled itself superbly. Line pickup was quick but enough sensitivity in the blank to allow it to play fairly with them. The rod is light, surprisingly so but has the backbone to chuck a waggler some distance. Mrs Munch managed 75 feet and she's a newbie. I was impressed enough that when a 12' version came up for sale on here I snapped it up.
I have yet to put in water but the rod casts very well and I can easily reach 100 ft plus with little effort with a 3g waggler over the grass..
I'm far from any authority on coarse rods etc but for the price I could not be happier.
Sure, expensive rods will give the more experienced angler more, as an ex Hardy Sintrix fly angler I know this. But for day to day and in your hand all day the Vertex are up to the job.
I guess it's all down to budget really?

Munchy

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I might add that if you are in my locale then you are more than welcome try both of ours on the grass out the front.
No doubt Mrs. Munch will want to go with authenticity and have me standing "Like a Carp would" on a grass field with you and her bombarding weighted wagglers in my general direction....

Diablo88

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at the acolyte or,after using the map parabolix suv feeder rod. One of their float rods. Anyone use these ??.