Drennan Universal XL Silverfish Top 2 on a SENSAS Pole. How much advantage over a Carp Kit?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I've got a Sensas Pole and I'm one or two top 2's down since getting it. One folded playing a fish and the other got caught in my box while shutting it like a fool.

I've still got 4 Top Kits left but I feel like I really want to get another top 2 so I have a good all round elastic set up. I purchased a 'Universal LEEDA' Top kit a few days ago, And even though I took measurements the top kit was way too small for my third section (Description error?!). Anyhow, A friend of mine brought round a Drennan Universal Carp Top 2 today which fit my third section perfectly, Although maybe needs to be cut down a few CM's for the desired fit.

However, These top kits are becoming hard to come across. I went to my local tackleshop and he has in stock one single Drennan XL Silverfish Top 2 for £30.00. Originally, I wanted to get a normal Carp top 2 but In my mind, This would be perfect for me. I do a lot of Silverfish / Bream fishing Especially on my clublake. I'm wondering how much advantage this Top 2 would have over a normal Carp top 2 with light elastic and a Pulla? Due to having a lighter tip will I see a massive difference in hook pulls and bumps in general? On occasion I'll also run across the odd carp, Will it also be able to handle those up to 8lb?

Thanks a lot

Antoine

Might be a dumb question, and I have no idea how much they go for in the UK but... Why not just get some Sensas tops ? :geek:

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Might be a dumb question, and I have no idea how much they go for in the UK but... Why not just get some Sensas tops?

Not a dumb question at all. SENSAS fighting kits are over £50. The Silverfishing kits are over over 100£, 3 or 4 times the price of a single Drennan Silverfishing kit!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
These any good ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
There is very little difference between the carp and silverfish top twos the silverfish being a touch lighter as they are not as beefed up as the carp version, the performance is mostly down to the size of elastic each can take.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Not a dumb question at all. SENSAS fighting kits are over £50. The Silverfishing kits are over over 100£, 3 or 4 times the price of a single Drennan Silverfishing kit!
I got a couple of the fighting kits for £30 from Angling direct mate. Side puller bushes already fitted as well

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I got a couple of the fighting kits for £30 from Angling direct mate. Side puller bushes already fitted as well
Tried there mate.. no luck.
Same as Bobco.
I can get Sensas Top Kits, It's just it seems I'm paying over the odds for them. Don't really want to spend stupid money on top kits as I just don't think it's worth it for me. These Drennan one's seem ok and are well priced too. I've already got several fighting kits, So I'm thinking about just grabbing a few of those at £30 a pop and using them for silver fishing while re-elasticising my fighting kits with bigger elastics.

rd350lc

If the kits measure 22 mm on the female end lots of others will fit , daiwa sr4/5 , some Browning , some maver and some map will fit .
Give you a bit more to go at , but will add the drennan kits are of good quality .

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If the kits measure 22 mm on the female end lots of others will fit , daiwa sr4/5 , some Browning , some maver and some map will fit .
Give you a bit more to go at , but will add the drennan kits are of good quality .

They do measure 22 mm on the outside.
Is there a definitive list of 22 mm kits? I see most manufacturers don't list dimensions. Even looking at kits on Angling direct, No dimensions are listed for any of the kits.

Wouldn't mind so much, But due to postage costs for tubes, Once you brought them theres no sending them back.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
There's only one way if finding out if another top two will fit - take it into a tackle dealer and try it. Measurements are not much good because the tapers are different.

rd350lc

There's only one way if finding out if another top two will fit - take it into a tackle dealer and try it. Measurements are not much good because the tapers are different.
Tapers might be , but Browning , maver , sensas and Chinese made Daiwa all fit my Daiwa sr4/ 5 perfectly , I have used all these 22mm kits for years .I think all these manufacturers must use the same or similar mandrels .
Sensible advice to try in a dealer tho
They do measure 22 mm on the outside.
Is there a definitive list of 22 mm kits? I see most manufacturers don't list dimensions. Even looking at kits on Angling direct, No dimensions are listed for any of the kits.

Wouldn't mind so much, But due to postage costs for tubes, Once you brought them theres no sending them back.
If the drennan kits fit and your local shop has them I'd be inclined to go that route .
My mate has used them for years and as I've said the quality is spot on.
The only other route is second hand , farcebook or eBay , try before you buy then , take your no3 along .

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
The 22mm diameter thing is tricky as it can come down to fractions of a mm and the taper.

My Maver kits fit well on my Browning Margin. The Browning kits don’t fit far enough onto the Maver. MAP shalla (and by deduction TKS) are perfect on the Browning and are good enough on the Maver (6.5 - 7cm Overlap).

Someone once said on here a manufacturer said 6cm is the minimum overlap and I would agree. I’ve never had a problem with the MAP shalla kits on my Maver and have had some lumps.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Tapers might be , but Browning , maver , sensas and Chinese made Daiwa all fit my Daiwa sr4/ 5 perfectly , I have used all these 22mm kits for years .I think all these manufacturers must use the same or similar mandrels .
Sensible advice to try in a dealer tho
If the drennan kits fit and your local shop has them I'd be inclined to go that route .
My mate has used them for years and as I've said the quality is spot on.
The only other route is second hand , farcebook or eBay , try before you buy then , take your no3 along .

I swear :ROFLMAO: Tried my friends Drennan universals and they fit my third section fine.
Went to buy the only one at the shop today.. Doesn't fit. By a mile. Even asked the fella before buying if all the Drennan universals are the same size on the end and got a 'Yes'. Even worse, When I got it out of the packaging I was astounded by how light it was, As well as the flex on the tip in comparison to my fighting kits and I can't even use it!.

I give up. Just gonna keep watching eBay for some SENSAS kits as I've burn't £45 on kits now with no luck.

Might as well just buy an entire used pole. Someone was selling a Maver Grimreaper with 3 kits on a local FB selling page for £100.00 yesterday which I nearly picked up. Now Im gutted!
Cheers for the help though!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Since starting doing "Universal tops" there have been three different diameters the current ones are carp or silverfish xl.
Has your friend cut back the tops to make them fit better ?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Since starting doing "Universal tops" there have been three different diameters the current ones are carp or silverfish xl.
Has your friend cut back the tops to make them fit better ?

No mate, He's just left them as is, Bog Standard. They're a bit too big for his but he doesn't mind the overlap even though I'd suggested he cut them down to be on the safe side. I'd need to slightly cut his back to fit mine how I'd want them. The one I purchased is way too small. Upon checking, I'd asked the shop owner if they're all the same size as it did look quite small in comparison to my friends, But I thought because it had a bung in it I was imagining and he confirmed at the till saying they are the same size. Hoping he hasn't just said that to make the sale to get it out of his sight as the top 2 has been sitting in the shop for over a year now.

rd350lc

I swear :ROFLMAO: Tried my friends Drennan universals and they fit my third section fine.
Went to buy the only one at the shop today.. Doesn't fit. By a mile. Even asked the fella before buying if all the Drennan universals are the same size on the end and got a 'Yes'. Even worse, When I got it out of the packaging I was astounded by how light it was, As well as the flex on the tip in comparison to my fighting kits and I can't even use it!.

I give up. Just gonna keep watching eBay for some SENSAS kits as I've burn't £45 on kits now with no luck.

Might as well just buy an entire used pole. Someone was selling a Maver Grimreaper with 3 kits on a local FB selling page for £100.00 yesterday which I nearly picked up. Now Im gutted!
Cheers for the help though!
Did you not take your number 3 section with you to try ?
I'd take it back quoting the "yes" to the fact that all drennan universal kits are the same size as clearly they are not .
Even if you had a credit note at the shop it's better than a topkit that don't fit .
Be mindful that even sensas did different diameter top kits .
I'm sure yours will be 22mm , just measure the female end to be sure .

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Did you not take your number 3 section with you to try ?
I'd take it back quoting the "yes" to the fact that all drennan universal kits are the same size as clearly they are not .
Even if you had a credit note at the shop it's better than a topkit that don't fit .
Be mindful that even sensas did different diameter top kits .
I'm sure yours will be 22mm , just measure the female end to be sure .
Tackle shop is across town, And I don't drive. Didn't want to risk lugging my only section 3 across town on a pushbike.
Friend said he'd have the top kit if it fits, I hope it does otherwise I'll be pretty annoyed considering he said yeah. If he doesn't I just won't shop there anymore. I just measured my Sensas kit, Its 21mm

rd350lc

Tackle shop is across town, And I don't drive. Didn't want to risk lugging my only section 3 across town on a pushbike.
Friend said he'd have the top kit if it fits, I hope it does otherwise I'll be pretty annoyed considering he said yeah. If he doesn't I just won't shop there anymore. I just measured my Sensas kit, Its 21mm
Fair enough mate , can understand that .