Drennan ultra 9' bomb rod.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Anyone own this rod, or picked one up. I'm having thoughts now about the rod I originally ordered, and problems with breakage etc. At least with Drennan you can get spare parts, they do talk to you via Facebook and I know them, having had lots of Drennan rods in the past? This Map rod came broken so is going back, I've heard horror stories about Preston quiver tips, and few other companies do mice little bomb rods. Just me throwing out my thoughts guys.

SteveAmo

If it’s the Drennan Ultra Light they do two version a 9ft/10ft one, then a 10ft/11ft version both come with 2 complete top sections with either an 0.75 or 1oz tips.

If you want to fish at the longer lengths the biggest bonus of these rods is that you don’t have to break down, as you just replace the section that’s fits into the handle and top section.

As with all other Drennan rods they are well designed and well made.

Great rods for silvers and spotting delicate bites.

I doubt you’ll be disappointed if you invest in one.

Hope that helps.

Rick123

Site Supporter
No Steve. It's the Drennan acolyte Ultra 9' bomb rod. Currently at £169 new buddy.

Browner

Not at all. Regularly use 8ft and 9ft rods for straight lead and feeder. Even use 7ft or shorter at times.

davepellet

ultra short rods are great for the purpose they were designed, very short chucks, ultra-light bombs/feeders, light hooklengths etc. and are good for tucking out of the wind on blustery days, but for me they are just not versatile enough... I can't quite run to a bomb/feeder rod for every situation I might find myself in, so versatility is quite important to me

9ft is probably the shortest I'd consider buying, and if that's what you're after the Acolyte Ultra will be a superb purchase
I have the 11ft ultra feeder which is a fabulous all round feeder rod... but I would happily buy the 9ft version if I thought I could get away with it!!!

Sadly, the only way I can justify another rod purchase is to fill the gap of a short commercial/carp feeder rod (I've been banging on about it for over a year, despite not doing any of that kind of fishing for several years!)

(and yes, before you ask, the wife knows enough about fishing & rods to know the difference between a light bomb rod & a short commercial feeder rod)

Louis D

Site Supporter
I have the 9' Plus and reckon it is probably a more versatile tool than the Ultra. I've seen it suggested as 10% more powerful so not an out and out power tool, plenty capable of lumps but not excessive for skimmers.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I have the 9' Plus and reckon it is probably a more versatile tool than the Ultra. I've seen it suggested as 10% more powerful so not an out and out power tool, plenty capable of lumps but not excessive for skimmers.
Thats the thing Louis, I don't want to double up. I've an 11' Tri-cast for my main carp feeder rod, and big lumps. Really want a silver rod, hence the ultra Acolyte, I'm just a little surprised they don't come with a tip lighter than 1 ounce?