Drennan Red Range 10ft Method Feeder Rod

BarryS

Gone fishing
Wanted a ten-footer for my local commercial and the postman delivered it yesterday.I think its an older model but had a few very good reports and was relatively cheap.
I have to say I am impressed with the detail and quality......great finish perfect cork ..nice rod bag and a spare tip.

An hour later I was on the bank.....paired it with a small Shimano bail runner and started off with a choc/orange wafter. very bright and hot afternoon but as it got to about 6.they started feeding and in the end I caught 3 fish a 4lb carp and 2 just over. 8lb.
I used a 25gm Drennen feeder and it cast this to an island 25/30 yds out with ease...the action was smooth and predictable and well balanced with my reel . Playing the fish the rod had a great forgiving through action. I have no doubt this easy to handle rod would cope with much larger fish.....great way to christen the rod ........I'm impressed.
Nice one Drennen :)

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Very good rods for the money, heard nothing but positive remarks about them. Enjoy it matey, nice write up. 👍

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've not owned a Drennan Red Range Method feeder, but have owned a 10ft mini carp feeder, and I still have my Red range 9'6" one which I thought great value. I caught a lot of carp on both in the 2 -6lb range at around 25 metres. Great fun. I also used Shimano's mini bait runner reels with both.

Enjoy your time with the rod Good review.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I was looking at our rod sales for this year against last year when I was trying to work out what to order for next year and the red range 10 foot method feeder and carp feeder were by far the best sellers in that around £50 bracket beating Matrix and Daiwa by a fair amount, its a lot closer in the £50 to £100 bracket with Vertex on a par with PI Daiwa and others.

Jonno_1

Thanks for this review, I was looking at a new feeder rod to replace an old Abu Garcia and after reading this I've got one on order at my local tackle shop. They seem to be sold out everywhere.

Silver fan 82

If I were looking for a method feeder rod I would seriously consider the red range.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Stock is still low on a lot of items mate due to the virus.

I don't know when we will be back to normal.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Thanks for this review, I was looking at a new feeder rod to replace an old Abu Garcia and after reading this I've got one on order at my local tackle shop. They seem to be sold out everywhere.
If you are looking for a feeder rod that won't break the bank take a look at the leeda concept gt range, I have been told that the float rods use the same blank as the drennan red range so possibly the feeder rods are the same also for a lump less cash

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Definitely not the same blank as the red range the Leeda is much softer in action in feeder and pellet waggler.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The Red Range has been discontinued, the Vertex range is now the "Budget" range, I daresay you'll find some odd Red Range rods about at discounted prices to clear them... I had a Red Range 9' method feeder... good little rod, I let my Father in Law have it when I cleared out some of my carbon rods.... and he's dead chuffed with it

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Series 7 were discontinued but Red Range will carry on for at least another year probably more given the popularity of them.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
The Red Range has been discontinued, the Vertex range is now the "Budget" range, I daresay you'll find some odd Red Range rods about at discounted prices to clear them... I had a Red Range 9' method feeder... good little rod, I let my Father in Law have it when I cleared out some of my carbon rods.... and he's dead chuffed with it
I had lot of fun with Red Range feeder rods great value. Not sure about Vertex, seem to be overpriced for what seem capable of doing, Had a waggle with one or two in my local tackle shop- not for me. Sad also to see the demise of the 7 series rods

Jonno_1

I managed to get hold of a drennan red range 10ft method feeder. Can’t wait to use it on my local fishery!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have an 11' Series 7 Method feeder... cracking rod and it was a pressy, so a double whammy, good and free

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have just ordered another 6 of the red range rods that are in stock today but noticed more than half of the range are now out of stock so I hope they come back into Drennan before November which is what a lot of the other firms are quoting now for next deliveries.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I used the 12' puddle chucker to great success, and still have the 12' 1.5lb tc Avon rod which has served me well for years. I'm currently trying to get extra tips other than the night sight ones for this rod from Drennan's default tip selection which is highly flexible fwith both fast and slow options, and a great variance in sensitivity

Chervil

Site Supporter
What is the actual difference between a feeder rod and a method rod, apart from the heavier quiver tips? I use the method a fair bit, normally with a Middy 4GS 11' feeder, a recently purchased Shimano Beastmaster 9/11' or an 8' Middy White Knuckle. I'm always happy to buy a new rod, so will a method rod bring any benefits?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Method rods are usually just beefed up feeder rods to cope with the extra weight of a feeder plus groundbait but many of the carp feeder or commercial feeder rods are similar so one firms method rod might be another firms feeder rod.
It is something you have to waggle in comparison as the name is only a clue to the rods action.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Method rods are usually just beefed up feeder rods to cope with the extra weight of a feeder plus groundbait but many of the carp feeder or commercial feeder rods are similar so one firms method rod might be another firms feeder rod.
It is something you have to waggle in comparison as the name is only a clue to the rods action.
Thanks (y)