Drennan pole floats advice- newbie to pole fishing.

SUPERTED77

Hi All.
Just starting out pole fishing, after a break from angling.
i’d like some advice on what pole floats to buy.
Just bought a winder set and would like to fill with my own tied rigs.
Hopefully no more than 4 types in total to keep things simple.
I’m currently only using drennan As3 for everything which i realise isn’t best practice,
got half a dozen 2 Of each size.
I’d like to stick to Drennan floats as this is what my local tackle shop sells.
I’ve been advised chianti diamond and pear shaped should cover most bases but i’m a bit bewildered by all the different types, long bristles, short ones, Wire stem, carbon stem etc etc.
Prefer fishing local club pond which contain mainly; Ide, silvers crucians, small tench.
With the odd 5lb carp and decent bream 2-3 foot in the margins 5-6 foot in the middle.
I’ll probs fish the odd commercial when i get more practice in.
Their can be a fair bit of wind and tow as its sits in a valley so i’ll need a better float for that.
The match lake which has an island in the middle contains small carp, crucians and tench under 1lb.
Can you recommend a few floats types to cover most of these bases.
Thanks for any advice.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
While the floats I use are not Drennan you may find it helpful to read my blog on keeping pole fishing simple where I details the very limited range of floats I use. It may give you an idea of general patterns that will work.

You will find a lot of debate around stem material. I stick to carbon for two reasons. First is durability, wire bends far too easily for me. The second is that the float patterns I chose based on body/bristle came with carbon stems.

Don't get sucked in with the thought that you need the ideal float for every variation of conditions. Start with a simple set and then expand as you gain experience and work out whether you actually need something different or prefer as I do to keep it simple. Nothing wrong with complexity if that is what you thrive on.

For windy conditions I recommend a float with an extra long bristle. I explain why in this blog post.

And the floats I use when windy can be found here

https://www.dt-floats.co.uk/apps/webstore/products/show/8035904

Finally, you may be interested in my Beginner's Guide to Pole Fishing, index here

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hi All.
Just starting out pole fishing, after a break from angling.
i’d like some advice on what pole floats to buy.
Just bought a winder set and would like to fill with my own tied rigs.
Hopefully no more than 4 types in total to keep things simple.
I’m currently only using drennan As3 for everything which i realise isn’t best practice,
got half a dozen 2 Of each size.
I’d like to stick to Drennan floats as this is what my local tackle shop sells.
I’ve been advised chianti diamond and pear shaped should cover most bases but i’m a bit bewildered by all the different types, long bristles, short ones, Wire stem, carbon stem etc etc.
Prefer fishing local club pond which contain mainly; Ide, silvers crucians, small tench.
With the odd 5lb carp and decent bream 2-3 foot in the margins 5-6 foot in the middle.
I’ll probs fish the odd commercial when i get more practice in.
Their can be a fair bit of wind and tow as its sits in a valley so i’ll need a better float for that.
The match lake which has an island in the middle contains small carp, crucians and tench under 1lb.
Can you recommend a few floats types to cover most of these bases.
Thanks for any advice.
If you’ve got a fair bit of tow on the water, best to use a wire stemmed float, something like an AS6,they don’t bend as they’re made of special wire now, which always returns to its original straightness.. the AS3 are a good float for deeper water , ie 4-6ft...the AS4 is a great margin float, for depths of 1-3ft

Last edited:

SUPERTED77

The Drennan made up rigs are very good quality too. If you don’t fancy making your own rigs up these are a good way to start imo.
That’s what I did Re As3 floats bought a few made up. I Liked them so I bought Just the floats and made them myself, it’s quite satisfying catching on yr own rigs.

SUPERTED77

While the floats I use are not Drennan you may find it helpful to read my blog on keeping pole fishing simple where I details the very limited range of floats I use. It may give you an idea of general patterns that will work.

You will find a lot of debate around stem material. I stick to carbon for two reasons. First is durability, wire bends far too easily for me. The second is that the float patterns I chose based on body/bristle came with carbon stems.

Don't get sucked in with the thought that you need the ideal float for every variation of conditions. Start with a simple set and then expand as you gain experience and work out whether you actually need something different or prefer as I do to keep it simple. Nothing wrong with complexity if that is what you thrive on.

For windy conditions I recommend a float with an extra long bristle. I explain why in this blog post.

And the floats I use when windy can be found here

https://www.dt-floats.co.uk/apps/webstore/products/show/8035904

Finally, you may be interested in my Beginner's Guide to Pole Fishing, index here

There’s some great content on you’re blog, I’ll be reading thru the beginners guide later.
I’d like to keep it simple really, as you mention sticking to a few patterns that suit my fishing Venues.
I fell in to the trap when I first started fishing, of buying wagglers and feeders of every size and shape. I’ve got a drawer full in garage most never used.
Hence the fact I don’t want to make the mistake again.
Thanks for all yr comments.
Just found the Drennan Pole floats section on there website, it’s like being in a sweetie shop.