Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 13'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillbo

Gillberto
I used my new Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 13' for the first time today and must say I am very impressed. I bought the rod following recomendations on this site and was not dissapointed.
I had looked at the Drennan Floatmaster 13-15', Shakespeare Mach 3 Light 13', Preston Sentient 13' and Maver Reactorlite No. 1, admittedly I did not see the Normark Microlight, Garbolino Super G light 13' or Daiwa Spectron Mk 2 13'. All these are excellent rods but based on the feel and a soft spot for Drennan gear i went for the Ultralight.
I must say that it is incredibly light and feels very well balanced in the hand. I used it with a Daiwa 123m and a Abu 1044 for fishing the stick and it was very light and well balanced, something which is important for me as it can be fatiguing holding a heavy rod in the hand all day.
I think it will a personal favourite for fishing the stick for dace, roach, grayling and chub but it will also see use on commercials for roach, tench, skimmers and smaller carp. I cant wait to use it more and would be glad to hear other peoples opinions on the rod.

Last edited:

davepellet

Nice choice mate, very nice rods & still on my list when I eventually get some cash together

can I ask what factor made you choose the matchpro instead of the floatmaster?

cost, action, weight, balance etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillbo

Gillberto
I went for the Matchpro Ultralight as it was the lighter of the two and felt much better balanced in the hand to me personally, also it has a tippier action which was what I was after. Although arguably the Floatmaster 13-15 is two rods for around 30 more the tip was stiffer and the rod felt heavier overall. If I had the money I may have gone for the Normark or the Daiwa but a few lads in the shop said they owned the Matchpro and one lad actually said he prefered it to a Normark Titan 2000. They seem to be a popular rod for stickfloat fishing on the Tees, but a lot of people alo rate them for the waggler and they have handled some good fish so its the best of both worlds really.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I have had the Matchpro Ultralight 14ft since last summer and it's the best river float rod I've ever used.(And I've used a fair few over the last 45 years.)Slim, light, well balanced with plenty of rings and a crisp tip action which blends progressively down the blank under pressure. I've found it ideal for both stick and waggler work. It's caught me everything from 30lb dace nets to chub over 4lb and barbel to 7lb plus. Superb rod for the money. Drennan have got it spot on with this one.

Gillbo

Gillberto
I used it again yesterday on the Tees for grayling. I managed to catch several grayling and trout, the biggest a decent browny of 1lb4oz on it and it handled it no bother. I absolutely love how light the rod is in the hand and with an Abu 1044 on you hardly know you are holding it. Yesterday it was a bad downstream wind, but it kept contact with the float and the tip wasnt affected which had been a concern. I must sayit is superb and cant wait to get on the commercials and target some decent skimmers, tench and carp on it to test it.

Gillbo

Gillberto
Yes this is the new Matchpro model I have wrote the review on.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Hemphead2 - yes it came out last summer. It's the business[:T].

Status
Not open for further replies.