Drennan bait tub

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Before the match at Lindholme on Saturday I popped into the tackle shop on site. I wanted a bait tub, 3 pints of maggots and some fishery pellets. Incidentally their fishery pellets are very good, I did well on them on the method. Their maggots are always pristine too and these were no exception.

I wanted a Guru 3.3 pint tub but they were sold out so I bought a Drennan one and got two pints of reds and a pint of whites in it. When I went into my van on arriving home there were a few maggots on the floor so I checked the lid and it was on tight so I didn’t think much about it. I duly popped the tub in my bait fridge. When I opened the fridge again on Monday I was shocked that there were about half a pint of loose maggots in there and quite a number in the process of escaping through the holes in the lid.

I am quite a fan of Drennan gear though I don’t own much of it but I can’t recommend their bait tubs, not for maggots anyway! I now realise there are probably quite a few maggots under the floor in the van and I am likely to have a cab full of bluebottles to look forward to. Oh well, live and learn.

Whilst I’m on the subject I can say that I still really like the Guru tubs. People have complained that the lids are awkward to get on, which I have found is only the case when they are new, but the lids stay on tightly and the holes in the lids are very small. I’ve been using them for at least a year now and never had any problems with them.

D87665A6-3370-4D97-B468-A0CA997350D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
This is no defence of Drennan bait tubs. I stopped using the standard green Maggi boxes about a decade ago. I've never even picked up the new type.

However, regardless of the failings of the new Drennan tubs, a couple of things struck me in your post. First up, putting three pints of maggots into a 3.3 pint tub invites trouble. Sweaty maggots are far more likely in an overfilled tub and sweaty maggots are even better escapologists. Second point is that maggots should be stored in a fridge in underfilled tubs with the lids off. Not doing so can also still result in overly warm and damp (be it sweaty or the result of condensation) bait. This increases the chances of a break out.

If you want the most secure bait tubs possible, give the Greys Klip Lok tubs a go. They won't stop maggots getting warm and damp, but there's no chance of a lid coming off in transit.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
This is no defence of Drennan bait tubs. I stopped using the standard green Maggi boxes about a decade ago. I've never even picked up the new type.

However, regardless of the failings of the new Drennan tubs, a couple of things struck me in your post. First up, putting three pints of maggots into a 3.3 pint tub invites trouble. Sweaty maggots are far more likely in an overfilled tub and sweaty maggots are even better escapologists. Second point is that maggots should be stored in a fridge in underfilled tubs with the lids off. Not doing so can also still result in overly warm and damp (be it sweaty or the result of condensation) bait. This increases the chances of a break out.

If you want the most secure bait tubs possible, give the Greys Klip Lok tubs a go. They won't stop maggots getting warm and damp, but there's no chance of a lid coming off in transit.
Points noted

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Had a spill of maggots in the car a while back, not from a tub but a bag splitting on the way home from tackle shop. Has been a fly or two every time I've driven for the last week, you can wind down the window and they still won't fly out. I like the Preston tubs I bought but they don't fit in a Drennan bait waiter. Made that mistake before and had to put tubs on the floor. Still have the same problem with Guru lids being too stiff and out of shape but they're usable and fit the waiter.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
There were three pints in the tub from the tackle shop to the lake but I used at least half of them during the match! The tub wasn’t half full. If I’d still got three pints I would have split them. The holes in the Drennan tub are massive compared to any other tub I’ve got. The maggots weren’t small, they were decent maggots.

JLK

I have quite a few of these and put 2 pint max in. Never had any issues with them getting out of the holes in the lid.
You do have to make sure the lid is pushed on properly all the way around though, as they are a bit of a tight fit and you think it's on okay but actually isn't.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Had a spill of maggots in the car a while back, not from a tub but a bag splitting on the way home from tackle shop. Has been a fly or two every time I've driven for the last week, you can wind down the window and they still won't fly out. I like the Preston tubs I bought but they don't fit in a Drennan bait waiter. Made that mistake before and had to put tubs on the floor. Still have the same problem with Guru lids being too stiff and out of shape but they're usable and fit the waiter.

So you’ve gone from limp home mode to ‘ gives you wings ‘ mode ? 🤣🤣.

I’ll get mi coat. 😩

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
The new tubs are fine you just have to look closely at the side the 1pt ones I've just bought one just bows in slightly on the side I suspect it's from manufacture and the tub being ejected from the mould a fraction to early and being to warm and stacked, it will fit the lid tight just needs to be carefully clicked in.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Here's a good tip - when putting maggots in the fridge leave the top off. Of course make sure the maggots are dry - and don't fill the tin!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never had any problems with mine (I don’t overfill them though) although purely out of interest I put a full pint in a 1.1 pint one earlier to see what happens. 3 hours later and none trying to get through the holes yet but we shall wait and see. Do look rather too small holes for anything but squats to get through though.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The holes in the lids are the same size as all the drennan tubs and the only time we have had an issue with maggots escaping from a properly closed lid is when there are some very small maggots mixed in which are from flies that are blowing on the beds when the main bait is nearly ready to come off usually in the height of summer.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Always put 2/3rds in a bait box max, it’s just asking for the bait to sweat when the lids on. It’s better to have them bagged air tight at the shop, keep them in the fridge that way and open the bag once a day to wake them up

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never had any problems with mine (I don’t overfill them though) although purely out of interest I put a full pint in a 1.1 pint one earlier to see what happens. 3 hours later and none trying to get through the holes yet but we shall wait and see. Do look rather too small holes for anything but squats to get through though.
I can confirm they neither escaped or sweated although I should think the latter was just down to it not being a very sweaty time of year.