Drennan Acolyte 14ft plus float rod

Anthony Brown

Looking to purchase a Acolyte 14ft plus float rod. What size reel would you using with it? Looking at either a Shimano or Daiwa.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It will depend on the exact reel in question. The weight of reels varies quite significantly between different models. A significant dose of personal preference also plays a part. Then the intended use might come into play. I have two modern Daiwa 2500 reels that are physically the same size. One weighs 226g, the other 323g.

Personally, on a 14' or less rod, I'd go for the lightest reel with the largest diameter spool that I could find. The actual designated size of the reel being largely immaterial.

alsur

Site Supporter
I use a Drennan Fd3000 on my 14ft ultra it works well pity reel is not as good as my Daiwa TDM3012 which is slightly bigger but would be OK. Fd3000 would be a really good float reel very shallow spools but it's just not as smooth as Daiwa.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I use a Drennan Fd3000 on my 14ft ultra it works well pity reel is not as good as my Daiwa TDM3012 which is slightly bigger but would be OK. Fd3000 would be a really good float reel very shallow spools but it's just not as smooth as Daiwa.
I’ve got the RD version on my 13ft ultra. I like it so much that when I get around to getting a 14 ultra as well I’ll be getting another of the same reel.

Anthony Brown

I have not seen the Drennan FD3000 are they the same size as your Daiwa TDM3012?

alsur

Site Supporter
I have not seen the Drennan FD3000 are they the same size as your Daiwa TDM3012?
Slightly smaller than gold and black TDM, the TDM is a better reel but spools need backing for light lines, I believe the latest Daiwa reels are smaller than previous models. I think 3000 Daiwa would be ok.

Last edited:

alsur

Site Supporter
I’ve got the RD version on my 13ft ultra. I like it so much that when I get around to getting a 14 ultra as well I’ll be getting another of the same reel.
FD is not a bad reel thats why I stick with it but it's not as smooth as Daiwa , Dean Barlow is using RD4000 in this video which I think you might find interesting if you haven't seen it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
FD is not a bad reel thats why I stick with it but it's not as smooth as Daiwa , Dean Barlow is using RD4000 in this video which I think you might find interesting if you haven't seen it.

Ah good old Wallingford. That was the scene of my first ever thames session when I was about 13 or 14. Must have been autumn as was quite warm yet the river was up and I fished the waggler in a slack that was absolutely stuffed with roach plus a few dace, bleak, skimmers and chublet. I was always going to be predominantly a river angler from that day forward ??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In either shimano or Daiwa?
Don’t think it would make much difference. I have both in 2500 but that’s on lighter 13ft rods so on a 14ft plus a 3000 might balance it better. Guessing a bit though as I’ve only handled 13ft and 14ft ultras and a 13ft plus rather than the 14ft plus.

alsur

Site Supporter
Ah good old Wallingford. That was the scene of my first ever thames session when I was about 13 or 14. Must have been autumn as was quite warm yet the river was up and I fished the waggler in a slack that was absolutely stuffed with roach plus a few dace, bleak, skimmers and chublet. I was always going to be predominantly a river angler from that day forward ??
Not always good was looking at winter league results for November 85 our team had 4 blanks but still come second to Dorking who has 2 blanks last place team had 10 blanks out of 12 Anglers, over 1/3rd of field blanked.

richox12

Personally, on a 14' or less rod, I'd go for the lightest reel with the largest diameter spool that I could find. The actual designated size of the reel being largely immaterial.

Same as that. In my head i'd instantly want to suggest 3000 size but my Daiwa 2503s are a more 'normal' 3000 size to me and I have some 4000 that are not big at all and I use them on the float.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not always good was looking at winter league results for November 85 our team had 4 blanks but still come second to Dorking who has 2 blanks last place team had 10 blanks out of 12 Anglers, over 1/3rd of field blanked.
I haven’t fished there in god knows how long as it involves driving past too many other good stretches. Wouldn’t mind a session there for old time sake though.

alsur

Site Supporter
I haven’t fished there in god knows how long as it involves driving past too many other good stretches. Wouldn’t mind a session there for old time sake though.
Last time I fished it new bridge hadn't been built, used to be good chub swims where it is now. Fished my first winter league there 3rd in section with 2lb 12oz river up a bit that day.

trotter2

Slightly different slant on things,but for what it's worth here goes.
First I use a closed face reels for the majority of my float fishing.I have acolyte plus rods in 13ft and 15ft.
And a ultra in 13 and 14ft.
On the 13ft rods I use the lighter old Abu 501.
On the 15ft plus rod I use the old Abu 507 which is a heavier reel
On the 14ft ultra I use again the 501. Your specifically asking about open face reels but it's still about balancing the weight of the rod specially to a reel.
I would suggest you take the rod to a good shop and try different reels untill you find one that's feels right to you.