Dremel

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
As I have already posted, I am trying to put together a workshop. Last year I purchased all the tools etc but it got put on the back burner after losing Ken and having umpteen jobs to do on the cottage and in the garden, so the majority are out of guarantee even though still in the box. One of my purchases was a Dremel 3000, intended for the hobby/float making corner of my garage. I needed it today so I unboxed it. Problem 1, the accessories supplied with the unit were too small for the Collet provided, this was annoying as I couldn’t use it straight away. Problem 2, the flexible shaft wouldn’t turn if I tightened it fully (finger tight), slackening it off meant the bit turned but the end attached to the unit was ‘slopping about’ . Overall the whole thing felt cheap and flimsy. Has anyone on here had any of these sort of problems or have I just got a rogue machine.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I bought a 3rd party flexi shaft off ebay as I couldn't get hold of a dremel one at the time. Its been great.

As for bits and collets, these are on the shelf In my local lidl now.

You can't go wrong. They were around £15 last time i bought one. Be aware, people buy them then overcharge on the bay. I have a few of them.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I bought a 3rd party flexi shaft off ebay as I couldn't get hold of a dremel one at the time. Its been great.

As for bits and collets, these are on the shelf In my local lidl now.

You can't go wrong. They were around £15 last time i bought one. Be aware, people buy them then overcharge on the bay. I have a few of them.

That’s worth a look mate👍

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have several Dremels - use them for the model railways and other stuff - one of the best purchases you can make is the Dremel chuck 4486 and do away with the collets, they make life so much easier.

The shafts tend to come with a huge amount of sticky grease in them so the trick is to attach the hex adapter to the drill then screw down the flexible shaft to finger tight & back off about 1/16th of a turn. Set the drill to low speed and run it with the shaft laid out straight for a minute or two then remove the shaft, give the adapter a wipe down and reattach - turn the speed up a little and run again.

Repeat this half a dozen times gradually increasing the speed and you should find the shaft frees up allowing you to fully screw down the locking collar. it will be messy.

The shaft that came with my 400 series digital was a bugger for weeks but once it freed up it has been spot on ever since.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I have several Dremels - use them for the model railways and other stuff - one of the best purchases you can make is the Dremel chuck 4486 and do away with the collets, they make life so much easier.

The shafts tend to come with a huge amount of sticky grease in them so the trick is to attach the hex adapter to the drill then screw down the flexible shaft to finger tight & back off about 1/16th of a turn. Set the drill to low speed and run it with the shaft laid out straight for a minute or two then remove the shaft, give the adapter a wipe down and reattach - turn the speed up a little and run again.

Repeat this half a dozen times gradually increasing the speed and you should find the shaft frees up allowing you to fully screw down the locking collar. it will be messy.

The shaft that came with my 400 series digital was a bugger for weeks but once it freed up it has been spot on ever since.
Cheers mate that’s great advice👍👍

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My cheap version came with four collets of various sizes. Strange that the Dremel would have only one.

satinet

Dremel ain't what they used to be. In the RC world 'dremel' is like sellotape. Everyone calls those rotary tools Dremel but most people have a non Dremel one. They're pretty essential for model making (RC planes, railways etc).

No they're not worth the money over unbranded stuff. My mate got a cordless one from Lidl a while ago which is very good.

I've got two both cheap Lidl or eBay jobs, never had any problems. Although the flexi packed up on one. Can't really complain as it's been in heavy use since 2014 at least.