DREDGING

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben grim

had only an hours fishing this week.went to a drain on the fens.
when i got there,an iron dinasour greeted me.well what do you do,
move on a bit,cutting fishing time,or stay and put in some casting practice.i did the second option.[:p]
i'm not complaining about the dredger,they do a job that needs to be done once in a while.i was just wondering,do some fish thrive
off the disurbance in the silt,do they swim off to an untouched
stretch.is it better fishing up stream or down stream from the
dredged area.should i forget this drain for a while and get more
casting practice somewhere else...[^]

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

norm

could not tell ya mate
but a good question witch i will look forward to the the answer to also
norm

martin.

Account Locked
hi ben
which drain in the fens ?
was it actualy dredging or did it have a weed cutter on as the norm this time of year?
was the drain pumping off ?
these can make differences and each can make a difference depending on the circumstances .

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Steve

From the ornimental ponds I have had and others I have looked after in the past I can make a few observations.

If the disturbance is something the fish are used to then they become accustomed to it and even expect the consequence of the disturbance to repeat.

I know of a pond where the owner's dog will only drink from the pond after he has had his dinner. The fish have become familier with this to the extent that they eat the scraps of food from the dogs beard while he drinks.

When I do any work in my pond the fish gain confidence fairly quickly because they know if I ever splash about I follow up with some food shortly after.

The splash of a feeder hitting the water is as much an attractant to a well fished water as the food itself.

Vibration travels exceptionally well under water and unless the fish are used to this activity on a fairly regular basis to learn about the increased food opportunity, I doubt that there will be a fish within half a mile of it.

I think I would fish elsewhere for a while.[:)]

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

martin.

Account Locked
hi
the dredger(with weed basket/cutter on) went through the strech where the 31-04 came out 1 week before hand but during thhe week from the following dayafter the dredger went through pike up to 21-08 came out.
normally i would wait for 2 days if they are pumping or 7 days
if they arnt .

tight lines.
martin.

norm

martin if you are pumping i would wait longer than that (lol)

ben grim

sorry that it's taken some time to reply.
martin,it was a weed basket type,the fellow driving it was telling me what fish he had caught in it.he would put back all the fish safely,good man,with the exception of the eels."they'll find their own way,slimmy things".he was clearing a stretch of the 40ft south,up to the A52 at donnington.not a big drain but a good one for when time is short. it wasn't being pumped off as it is a main drain,
gets water pumped into it ,i fish it 8 miles from it's start.
i think i'll switch to the glen for a while,looks nice around the pinchbeck area.

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

martin.

Account Locked
hi ben
where abouts in lincs do you live ?
my favourite peg on our drain (the 31-04 came out of this one last week) is only about 15miles & im only about 20m from pinchbeck if you want a session on here your welcome.

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.