Dream Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowder

Afternoon all,

Me and the Mrs are currently in the process of planning a dream holiday next year, I have looked for a long time at New Zealand and the prospect of emigrating there is something that really appeals to me.
With that in mind we are booking flights soon to go next Easter and spend 14 days in a campervan exploring both the North and South Islands and doing activities everyday such as kayaking, white water rafting, visiting the set of The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, swimming with dolphins in the sea and various other exploits.

Just wondering if any of you guys had done a once in a lifetime holiday and if so where you went and what sort of things you did when you there.

Crowder

davylad

Site Supporter
Australia via Cambodia Thailand and Malaysia on the way there, and Singapore on the way back. Did all the usual in Oz, such as Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne, never spent much time in Sydney though. When you do book it, I would advise you to go on official tours as it will help you not to waste time while you're there. It can be hard work, but at least you'll see and visit as much as is possible.

ajaxer5

Site Supporter
My granddaughters recently toured New Zealand in a campervan ,had time of their lives
only wish I had done it at that age (24 and 26).

iammrb

Site Supporter
I've been there a few times as my brother lives there. 2 weeks isn't much time to get around both isnalds and really see the sights.

Fantastic place though - you'll love it.

crowder

Originally posted by iammrb

I've been there a few times as my brother lives there. 2 weeks isn't much time to get around both isnalds and really see the sights.

Fantastic place though - you'll love it.

Hi mate,
Hoping to extend it a bit depending on Mrs leave as she works in a school. Failing that we will just have to choose the best bits I think and fit them in!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Not a once in a lifetime because I managed to get back again more than once but Miami Beach was always a dream destination when I was young.

I still recall a teacher telling us about this place where you could fry an egg on the pavement because it got so hot. That sounded unbelievable to my young brain but stuck with me. So when a few things came together - starting work, earning money and Freddy Laker opening up the US routes to ordinary folks I took myself off to Miami.

On a subsequent trip to Detroit I stood in both Edison's laboratory and the Wright brothers cycle shop and toured Henry Ford's mansion.

The only other "dream" holiday was probably last year's again USA. This time to see Washington DC and stand in front of Lincoln's statue at the memorial*, to stand where MLK delivered "I have a dream" and thence to the White House by way of seeing the Spirit of St Louis at the Air & Space museum. After that the battlefield sites of Gettysburg (to stand where Lincoln stood to deliver the address) and Manassas as well as the Pro Football Hall of Fame and finally a baseball game at Tiger Stadium, Detroit.

*Visited Lincoln's birthplace in 2008.

Only two things left on that list really. Ford Field for a Lion's football game and Springfield, Illinois to visit Lincoln's grave to complete the set.

After that I have no real dreams as regards places to visit. Though I have recently discovered a cousin that died in WW1 and plan to visit his grave.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Thailand,loas, Vietnam and Cambodia with my now wife in 2006 for 3 months , went back to Thailand for a months honeymoon in 2009

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by genesis

Did you fry the egg Neil?

No, no need. It was hot enough.

I also learned that the sun cream we had back then, while suitable for the European sun, was nowhere near enough to cope with that experienced in those latitudes. In those days, mid 70s, we had never heard of sun screen factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.