Drayton Res Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

The following is a rough guide that may be of help.

The depth on the pole line (upto 11mtr) varies roughly as follows:

Pegs 1 to 34 G
Between 4 & 8 ft lower numbers shallower.

Pegs 35 to 62
Between 4 & 18 ft deepest pegs in the middle of dam shallower each end.

Pegs 63 to 90
Between 4 & 8 ft

Pegs 91 to 120
Between 4 & 6 ft higher numbers shallower.

Pegs 35 to 54 are the best pegs on the Dam with the shallowest being pegs 35 to 37 upto about 10' with the deepest peg you got being 54 at about 25' dependant on how much water they run off for the canal (i'll let you know nearer the date), as it's about 3' down at the moment.

The main line's of attack from the Dam are Pole between 3mtr and 10mtr with Pellet n Paste. And if there is very little wind/tow Bagging Wagg at any distance from 30 to 60yds. But dont neglect the Method if the wind is up.

Bagging Waggler
Most regulars fish the Bagging Wagg on carp rods between 13/4lb & 21/2lb test curve with mainline of between 8lb & 12lb breaking strain either Maxima or Shimano Cantana.
Main baits last year were Mini Boiles, Pellets, Dog Biscuit, Meat and even Bread scored some good weights.
Best way to present most of the baits is on a hair rig.
Most people start off at a depth of 4 to 6' but be prepaired to change the depth about as the fish do move up and down in the water.
Hooks are a personal thing but i use Mustard Method in size's 10 to 14 dependent of how it's going.
Try not to introduce to many if any loose floaters if it's windy, as the carp will follow them straight out of your swim.

Pole
Best fished between 3 and 10mtr with Pellet n Paste fed on a little but very often basis.
Lacy is normally a 20 with line being 8 to 10lb and big floats upto 6grm shotted with a simple bulk between 6" and 18" from the hook which is again Mustard Method sizes 8 or 10 and a big lump of paste.

Bagging Waggler Groundbait Mix
You'll find just about every groundbait in use here as everybody has got their own favourite mix and they all work.
I use the same mix that i use on the method just cut down on the binder and add dry bran to the wet mix to make it fall off the feeder quicker.

For a 5hr match i use the following mix for the Bagging Waggler any thats left i freeze and use next time so dont think you need the same qty.
1 bag Cats & Dogs original
1 kilo Fishmeal
3 kilo Brown Crumb
1/2 kilo Crushed Hemp
1/2 kilo Pure Molasses Meal
1 kilo Mixed 2 & 4mm Trout Pellet
2 kilo Turkey Pellets
Qty Bran as required
All mixed up with 2 tins of liquidised corn and liquid Molasses

Some people cast the Bag/Wag out and fire GB at it others cast leave it a min then recast the choice is your's as they both can work.

Personaly i start on the method with a hand full of floaters in the mix for 1/2 hr unless i see fish topping then i'll go straight on the Bagging Wag

Thought the above may be of interest and help to those that are coming on the 20th May

If anyone wants any more info dont hesitate to ask

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi malc
info is brilliant it will be a big help
thanks a ton

tight lines.
martin.

G

Your a GEM Malc printed your info off mate,
See you on the 20th Malc

Andy

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Brill Malc,
Thanks a mill,

PS ,Ive got that Riddings match next day,
Any chance you'll have any GB left over LOL

CYA

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Cyprinid_boy

Ignore that last message, Ive investigated and found out for myself.
Malc, you'll be interested to know that the sunken buoy on peg 37ish has now gone and the mass of snags by the numbered buoy just before peg 34 has been cleared. I was lucky enough to spend my Friday evening undertaking this task as fish o' mania was taking place the following day. If anyone speaks to Mick the bailiff just say Mat from MEM says hi and your dog looks like a rat - lol.

Mat

MALC

Sorry Matt did not mean to ignore you i'd just started so many threads on Drayton that i lost the plot.

Latest Drayton Update
I'll post this on all the Drayton threads (as i know i started a few).

Just finished talking to Mick the baliffe and i've booked 20 pegs on the Dam Wall from peg 35 to 54 for the 20th.
Also got permission for a match between 10am & 4pm.
So if anyone wants to meet in the cafe which is only 5mins from Drayton on the A45 at 7.30/8am i'll supply directions to it.

Malc

scott essery

'Silver man'
Hia Malc

Your a mine of information mate regarding Drayton. so how big are these bloody carp? 10lb and 12lb maxima, size 10 hooks, 7kg of groundbait and pellets 6g pole floats and 20's laggy!!!

Why do you need such heavy pole floats? do you think 14s laggy to 0.16 line will stand up to these beasts. Its more like wreck fishing

Im used to 1/2 bag of supercup a 1/4 of pinkies and 1/2 squats to a .2g float and 3s laggy

The summer bag up series of competitons your running are at stockton and clattercote, does the Drayton method/tackle apply for there to? if i make a load of baggin waggs will they get used there to?

Edited by - scott essery on 03 May 2002 11:34:40 AM

MALC

YIPPPPEEE

2nd time it's let me post since dinner time (i got NTL problems).

Scott
quote: so how big are these bloody carp?

Speaking to Mick yesterday the biggest carp now stands at 30lb + although there seems to be a lot coming out at the moment around 5 to 7lb (which is classed as the smaller fish) as most now are doubles.
quote: Why do you need such heavy pole floats? do you think 14s laggy to 0.16 line will stand up to these beasts. Its more like wreck fishing

Most use the heavy pole rigs to combat the tow as most in the know use a very soft paste (but i wont tell anyone that as it's a secret)LOL, and also to act as a self hooking bolt rig on the pole line.
Personally i would not drop lower than an 18 although i expect others will say differently.
Regards the line Dia must admit i go back to the old way here and go by BS and the toughness of Maxima suits me.
quote: 7kg of groundbait and pellets

Dont forget i freeze any thats left over so the qty can be less but you know me and how i feed. LOL

Mick still sale's Bagging Wagglers on the bank but unsure how much.

Malc

G

Thats it Malc, i'm useing my sea rod and reel,
Century Saturn 13' and Diawa SL30H, that'll tame em,think i will use 3/0 aberdeen hooks{LoL}

10lb line soon be sorted with the gear you suggest Malc, have we to use barbless hooks?.
Cya all on the 20th

Andy

i'm going fishing

steve wilson

hi toma
the biggest hook you can use is a size 8 barbless of coarse
most people use mustad long point method feeder hooks
hope that helps

G

Thanks for that Steve, sure we have some in the shop mate.
Ta much

Andy

i'm going fishing

Del-J

' Victor '
quote:
Thats it Malc, i'm useing my sea rod and reel,
Century Saturn 13' and Diawa SL30H, that'll tame em,think i will use 3/0 aberdeen hooks{LoL}

Andy

i'm going fishing

3/0 Aberdeens hells bells Andy next thing you'll say is our bringing your HARPOON... LOL

Del.

G

Del,,,,, Del,,,,Del,good to see you now go back to bed and stop pestering me

3/0 aberdeen hooks, its a gadgee hook my mate.

Good to see you mate, mail you later

Andy

i'm going fishing

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Malc,

Would you still consider the fishing the pole considering the size of fish now being caught close in.I personally have broken a carp pole fishing paste on a fish of about 15lb.You could here the crack across the lake.As you know the fish are animals and fight all the way.Would a long rod set up be better?

Keith

MALC

Del,
Glad to see you back on again take it easy.

Keith,
As you say they are a bit of a handfull now and the new best came out about 3 weeks ago at just over 30lb (some fish).
Personaly as i'm still using my old (battered & abused) FightBack it'll be running line for me as my pole is a bit past it now.
But will have no worry with a Drag n Net.
But soon as i get the Trojan then it'll get used down there as thats what it's for thumbsup.gif

Best of luck at Rolf's tomorrow (just beat Kev).

Malc

Del-J

' Victor '
Thanks Malc, at least I got a civil comment from you, not like you know who.
Nice to be back even though it is slowly, slowly, for a while.

Del.
Be happy, go fishing.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Del,
Good to have you back mate.
Take it easy.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

G

Del its a pleasure to bandy words with you bash.gif , cos we are bashing buddies,

Good to see you, you old fogie{ better not put fart cos the MODS might take offence LoL}.

Nice one Del see you later for a argue.gif .

Andy

i'm going fishing

Del-J

' Victor '
quote:

Del see you later for a argue.gif

Is that a threat or a promice Andy,

Peter, ta very much your a gent. Unlike somebody I could mention.

Del.
Be happy, go fishing.

Edited by - peter on 05 May 2002 9:17:12 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.