Draw fiddling

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have fiddled it pleasure fishing by always picking the flyer peg :LOL: I prefer to call it doing my homework. But yes I can't abide cheats. This would have been back in the 70s or 80s with the story Burt told me... he's a top bloke... regaled me with stories of how he won his section in the Wye Championships at Hereford off 'Peg 1' back then too.

Total

Site Supporter
I have fiddled it pleasure fishing by always picking the flyer peg :LOL: I prefer to call it doing my homework. But yes I can't abide cheats. This would have been back in the 70s or 80s with the story Burt told me... he's a top bloke... regaled me with stories of how he won his section in the Wye Championships at Hereford off 'Peg 1' back then too.
In 50 years of open match fishing I've only witnessed cheating once (that I was aware of) and it was done that badly it was 'laughable'....Karma played a strange part in that day.....I won the said open and over £250 with two tench and a lone gudgeon....7 pound 4 ounces....:love::D

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
It looks that way sadly total. Very sad. Unfortunately this is the way of the world now it seems. Don't really know what they are achieving really

booboo

Site Supporter
In this day and age it's a shame we can't just do everything online - draw ,payment,pools with random number generator spitting your peg number out. Nine o'clock all in and turn up whenever you like before then to set up.

Total

Site Supporter
In this day and age it's a shame we can't just do everything online - draw ,payment,pools with random number generator spitting your peg number out. Nine o'clock all in and turn up whenever you like before then to set up.
Whilst I can understand and appreciate what you say above Mr Boo somehow to me that process is just too 'mechanical' for my liking....The draw for me is an important part of the day....

booboo

Site Supporter
Whilst I can understand and appreciate what you say above Mr Boo somehow to me that process is just too 'mechanical' for my liking....The draw for me is an important part of the day....
Same here to be honest, and if I knew my peg the night before I'd be down pre-baiting it and bricking everyone else's🤫

Simon R

Site Supporter
A couple of the small local clubs started doing online, night before draws due to the pandemic.
Can't understand why they're still doing it though

Simon

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
When I ran my works club we used to list everyone's name down (no shows and additionals filled the gaps)
I or my club sec were always No1 on a rotational and we would draw the list the night (ish) before.
The other anglers didn't know the order until their name was called out.
Numbered discs went in a bag and the angler called out drew for the next angler.
The sec or me had what was left.

Never had any moans or issues and the draw banter was great, especially when long walk river pegs were drawn.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Having never done any match angling, what's a flier?

it’s the term used for a peg which is known to be a frequent fish holding area and by drawing it you are off to a flying start ahead of other anglers whose peg may not be such a fish holding area

Some waters have natural features that hold fish or it may be at one end of a lake where fish congregate and you are the only angler who can access it

smiffy

Site Supporter
Having never done any match angling, what's a flier?
Having had many a bad run at the drawbag it’s a question I’ve often asked myself😂
Typically a flier is a peg that is expected to frame at the very least, because it has a history of doing so👍
Mainly because it holds a load of fish.
Draw fiddling?. I’ve heard rumours and seen accusations made but never definitive proof of it going on. Match organisers used to make a point of drawing in front of everybody else because of the age old story of the best pegs being left out until everybody else had gone to their pegs.

MarkW

What used to happen on the big Fenland and Trent matches back in to 60s and early 70s was that tickets cost around 25 to 50p. You could buy more than ticket. You would turn up, pay the optional pools ONCE then have a draw with each ticket, choosing the most favourable one, with no record kept of who had which peg. Ray Mumford recalled turning up for a big Newark match and finding himself facing a gale whilst a host of big names were all on the other bank, and being told he could have picked up a better peg from those discarded by the double-drawers. Some big names got youngsters to draw extra pegs for them and then took the best draw.

What Dave Downes (Leicester Likely Lads) did circa 1973-75 was organise matches, mainly on the Welland where tickets and pools were were all-in at £3 and all draws were recorded so no double-drawing.

I can remember there being an annual Salisbury open many years ago where the match sec. had the same absolute flier three years running!

Many matches had fiddled payouts as no-one knew what was being paid out with all sorts of takes from the pools. People like Dave Downes and Pete Hutchinson of Ringwood had boards up with the whole payout structure there for all to see.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I used to do the draw on our club matches and would always try to take the last peg in the bag but would get someone else to take it out of the bag so I never touched the pegs. It was surprising how many times the last peg was one of the best pegs.
On one occasion at Lake 2 at Monk Lakes the last 2 pegs were 45 and 66 the 2 best pegs on that part of the lake. My travel partner and I were last to go we finished 1st and 2nd. The following year we again took the last 2 pegs in the bag………. 45 and 66 and again came 1st and 2nd.

The Runner

Going back about 30 years, the organiser of opens on one of my regular venues always seemed to have a suspiciously good draw hand.
However as one of my team mates pointed out, if he was on the fiddle, then , as he wasn’t very good, it meant that there was one flier you didn’t have to worry about….

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
What used to happen on the big Fenland and Trent matches back in to 60s and early 70s was that tickets cost around 25 to 50p. You could buy more than ticket. You would turn up, pay the optional pools ONCE then have a draw with each ticket, choosing the most favourable one, with no record kept of who had which peg. Ray Mumford recalled turning up for a big Newark match and finding himself facing a gale whilst a host of big names were all on the other bank, and being told he could have picked up a better peg from those discarded by the double-drawers. Some big names got youngsters to draw extra pegs for them and then took the best draw.

What Dave Downes (Leicester Likely Lads) did circa 1973-75 was organise matches, mainly on the Welland where tickets and pools were were all-in at £3 and all draws were recorded so no double-drawing.

I can remember there being an annual Salisbury open many years ago where the match sec. had the same absolute flier three years running!

Many matches had fiddled payouts as no-one knew what was being paid out with all sorts of takes from the pools. People like Dave Downes and Pete Hutchinson of Ringwood had boards up with the whole payout structure there for all to see.
I also heard about the Ray Mumford one mate. I also agree about the payouts, the tickets would say 100% pools payout but as the pools were optional you had no idea how much was to be paid out. Steve Toone was notorious for it with his Attenborough matches, affectionately known as the Toonie RIP Offs.

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
I have encountered draw bag shenanigans a couple of times .
I turned up for a club match and was chatting to an old friend when we were called to draw our pegs ,
Just as my friends hand went in the bag the chap running the match and holding the bag says ,"they all want peg 11, but my gear is already in it ".
With that my friend says do you fancy weir wood for some skimmers and roach . Absolutely mate and we left with the match organiser berating us for leaving.
The following week saw my friend and I waiting to draw for our pegs . The same match organiser is again holding the bag.
The match was a walk off ,meaning the lower your number you get to walk off to the lake and pick your own swim .
The match organiser says just to please you b,stars I have got the highest number so there.
I drew number two so had second choice of swim , but guess what ,the match organisers son had drawn number one. I get the swim I wanted which was next door to the son .who wasn't setting up any tackle just sat on his box . Well bugger me the match organiser turns up and son picks his tackle up and the cheat sits on the peg.
......footnote he weighed just over two pounds ,I had near seventy.
I never fished another match for that club and likely never will again .

The Landlord

Site Supporter
There used to be a 40 peg match on one of our park lakes, a couple of times a month. Only a few pegs round the island held carp which were needed to win. Our club organiser drew one of the best two carp pegs without fail, every single match & eyebrows were raised and muffled comments made.
One week they held the Wirral Festival of Sport Final on this lake for which he qualified. A different guy was running it & he decided to peg the lake the opposite way round to the norm. Our club organiser was apopleptic at this news & obviously drew a garbage peg much to everyone's amusement. He disappeared from the match scene shortly after.