Draw fiddling

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Chatting to my mate Burt at the park the other day, he's a veteran age 84 and has fished a few rivers in his time.

Firstly he was telling me about a peg known as the Barking Dog peg I think on the Warks Avon somewhere, as you had to cast a waggler to the far bank to catch the Chub, but every time you cast, a dog would come running down the garden and start barking. Anyone recognise this peg?

But the point of the thread, he told me he used to fish Worcestershire Opens on the Severn. Peg numbers were in envelopes in a cardboard box. Someone told him to feel around under the flaps in the box as that's where they put the flyer pegs. He did it and pulled out a flyer and won the match.

After the match he told all the anglers they'd been fiddling and there was uproar, he never fished one of those matches again!

Ever heard of anything like that?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I was told about the draw being done with the cards being made out of the back of a cornflakes packet. The pegs were laid out face down on a table. The match norganiser of course knew which pictures had the fliers on.

Nicky Dodds

Match organiser habitually drawing last and always drawing either an end peg or a flier. He also used to put an extra peg or two in to accommodate a couple of lads that he 'heard' were coming late but never show up...thus being able to disguise the fact the flier was in his hand all the time.

castaline

Site Supporter
The 'barking dog' peg was about 400yds downstream of Jubilee bridge on the Fladbury stretch of the WA if memory serves.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can't abide cheats, but love hearing stories like this from seasoned anglers. He did say fladbury I think too. Amazing!

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
there are a lot of named pegs like the barking dogs but unfortunately alot of venues are well overgrown now so a lot of areas and pegs are lost

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
from what i can remember its the bottom end of meadow 3. you will know it cause theres a big tree in the river thats been there forever . it may be an easier walk if you go to hampton loade and walk upstream

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
When I was a match secretary I was often wrongly accused of cheating when I drew the flyer. A few people were convinced I was cheating at the draw. I wasn't, I just used mathematical odds to work in my favour to draw it.

MarkW

The Harris peg gets its name from World Champion (1969) Robin Harris of Peterborough drawing it in the 1971 National and winning from it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. I find it pretty amazing. The second meadow where I am now just before the houses on the bend is far enough walk for me but I forgot how peaceful it is down here.