Drake floats

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have been using various patterns of Drake floats over the last couple of years and to say I have been impressed would be an understatement. The quality of finish is impeccable and loading is nearly always spot on what is written on the float. There are patterns to suit most styles of fishing (a nice selection of wagglers arrived this morning see pic), ones I have really enjoyed using have been the stepped wagglers, bodied wagglers and brass stemmed sticks. There is something very satisfying about catching fish using a nicely finished float DSC_0216.JPG

SteveAmo

The Drake waggler floats in particular the sliders are brilliant to use.

Not widely available, so if you find a shop stocking them make the most of their availability.

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Got to agree there , been using exactly them for a number of years, also I use the 18” and 20” versions on the big Loughs in Ireland, brilliant for cutting through the skim, tow .

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Superb floats, and very popular in the north.

I use the 3.5mm straight insert and the medium stepped wagglers as often as my 35 year old home made specials these days, although I don't like loaded floats so I swapped the bases for 3mm cane.

The smaller sizes of the alloy stepped stick and the domed top stick are great for shallow fast swims.

They don't have a website as far as I am aware but Benwick Sports carry a good range.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I didn't realise Drake floats were still going.

I bought a few many years ago for use in Ireland and similar deep-water venues

Drake 002.JPG

The largest one is 16" long and despite being loaded still takes 3 SSG - I don't remember ever actually using this in anger.
The next size down is 13" (4AAA) and I have used these occasionally but not as much as the smallest bodied waggler (4BB) - I have two more of these (in better condition) on winders and they're my go to floats for anything over about 6' deep

Simon

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I know Ivan Marks said that if you have a favourite float then throw it away. Sorry but I love Drake floats...

I was put onto the insert wagglers about 15 years ago and they now cover 80% of my wag fishing, fly straight as arrow and feel right. Beautiful to look at although I do black out any I use for shallow fishing. Use them either as intended with some shot down or with lead wire loading for pellet wag/dust shot down. Have them in 5" to 12" but mostly use 8" to 11".

Do also use straight and insert wagglers either loaded or unloaded.

Some of my favourites are the purple sliders and the three sizes cover most of my slider fishing. Have also used them as fixed bodied wags.

Also like the sensitive insert stem wagglers which are lovely on calm days for close-in work.

Like Jonathan said the whip whips are cracking floats to use and so, so sensitive. Was using a 1g one the other day, with an 11' rod and centre pin ide bashing.

Here are some of my babies. BTW the loaded 4g pellet waggler has been a spot on chubber on the rive.

Attachments

• IMG_2948.JPG
    IMG_2948.JPG
    511 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2949.JPG
    IMG_2949.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2950.JPG
    IMG_2950.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2951.JPG
    IMG_2951.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2953.JPG
    IMG_2953.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 26

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Couple more Drake patterns, waggler whips and fine stepped wagglers.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 14