Drains

me

Off working on sites I always thought rain water drains ran separate to foul drains.
The reason I've mentioned this is because yesterday the wife went to outside toilet and when she flushed the water came up on the bowl then took time to go down. I was in the back garden and noticed the rain drain in the back garden had over flowed
I got the wife to flush the outside toilet again and the rain drain over flowed more bring out some wet wipes.
Now I know for certain no wet wipes have ever gone down any of our toilets.
So obviously there is a blockage on a foul pipe some were.
So would a rain drain run into a foul drain ?
Would it be down to the water company to sort the blockage or me as I'm a home owner.

I've trying looking on the internet who is responsible for the pipe/ drain and different sites are giving different replies

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
When we had similar problem in old house it was householder to resolve. 3 houses were on same drain, always 3rd house that caused the issue. Used to cost about £30 per house and council would send men round, rod and flush it. Once people in the 3rd house moved we never had any more problems. We were first house on the drain so it was usually 2nd house that noticed problem first. If a shared drain you could see if neighbours have same issue to see where blockage might be.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
is yours an older house ?

often the case for dual use drainage comes from the age of the housing stock, newer housing conforms to single use drainage

Rainwater locally often goes to a soakaway if there is a rear and front garden or yard space on the property

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I think it differs around the country but where we are Foul and Surface Water all go into the same drain.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If your drains are shared with a neighbour it is the responsibility of the local water authority to maintain them. Give them a call

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Most foul and rainwater drains pre 1980s go into the same drain/sewer

me

Thanks for the speedy replies.
The house is early 60s.
Like as been mentioned the new houses I work on the rain water goes into either the ground or some go off to a holding soak away lake

The drains are definitely shared as I know for certain there is no way baby wipes have been put down any of our toilets and wet wipes came out when the drain backed up so they are obviously going down some one else toilet

me

If your drains are shared with a neighbour it is the responsibility of the local water authority to maintain them. Give them a call
Dave is that inc houses.
This is were it got confusing on the internet. So sites I looked on said it used to be the house holders responsibly but as changed to the authority's if its shared, then others have talked about share being in flats, masonets ect and not houses

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If your neighbours drains run across or within your boundary and your links into theirs then it's the responsibility of the water authority to maintain them, including any blockages. You are only responsible up to the link.

We had an issue several years ago where ours would block up on a regular basis. Ours is detached with its own drains to the sewer which ran down the opposite side of the street, so I ended up buying a second set of drain rods 50m in total and rodded right down from the manhole in our drive to the sewer.
This didn't clear the blockage though so it had to be backing up from the sewer pipe.

A call later and a wagon with big vaccum pump turned up and they sucked all the debris out further down the road and no problems since.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Most foul and rainwater drains pre 1980s go into the same drain/sewer
It's earlier than that Dave - by the mid 60s separate FW and SW sewers were very common.
Where I used to live, the estate was constructed between 1960 & 62 and is combined - the next estate started a couple of years later is all separate.

My current house (1950s) has partially separate drainage - SW from guttering to the front and combined at the rear - bit pointless really as they all drop into a combined sewer in the street.

If the blockage is downstream of the point that your drain joins the neighbours then it's down to the local water company to sort it out.

Simon

breadflake

Site Supporter
Built in the early 50s the main sewer runs through the rear gardens on this stretch of 9 houses

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
the majority of houses share the mains foul drains, it would be uneconomical for housebuilders and quite awkward to do it any other way,

the foul from your property where it joins the mains shared sewers should have a manhole at the junction, you are responsible for maintainance from that manhole backwards towards your property, the rest of the foul and rainwater is the responsability of whatever company that your local water board sub section is

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The rainwater can go into the foul water as long as your roof's area is below a certain size (can't remember what) but foul can't go into rain.