Dragon Carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djbennetto

Just been told of this website (dragoncarpdirect) by a mate and all the stuff is really cheap and good quality.

Is this too good to be true? Has anyone used this site? How reliable and how good is the quality of the tackle?

Want to make sure before I shell out my cash

Cheers

Towpath Tyke

To be honest alot of people buy from them and go to the road shows, their the sister company of Used Tackle of Nottingham. I have only ever bought two carp rods from them, when they arrived one of them had the large eye missing! So I rang them, result.....`If you take the rod to a local tackle shop and get them to whip a completly different eye on, we`ll knock you something off your next purchase`!!! I wanted a new rod, they say, `it`s not worth the postage to either party`!!! It was my last ever purchase with them! [:(!]

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I've had a couple of bits and pieces from them. They arrived undamaged,
but the quality was pretty much what you'd expect for the price.

It was all OK kit, just 'cheap & cheerful'.

jbfzoo

Keep away from them, ordered stuff from them they acknowledged receipt and payement of order on 12th june i am still waiting on delivery and its only 20 miles away. despite three emails no one has had the courtesy to reply or tell me what is happening. On monday i will be paying them a personal visit.

John

mrhaze

i bought a cheapy carp rod from them for a tenner...i've caught fish on it but it's definitely a 10 rod thru and thru. it is very heavy for starters...especially in comparison to my "real" carp rods :)

they're basically the tesco smart price of the fishing tackle world and as long as you keep that in mind you should be ok...only used em once mind and had no problems like some others with delivery etc.

shaggy69

Shaggy69
I only live 5 mins from them and even i don't buy stuff from them.

They say they sell everything with a warranty but if you buy their gear and it breaks forget the warranty,it isn't worth a dime,and thats speaking from experience.The owner is a guy i would'nt trust either,yes the gear is cheap but it doesn't stay the course.

I always go to Matchmen supplies in Nott's for my gear and they also have their own website,it bit more expensive but at least your getting good quality.

On another note about Dragoncarp/used tackle,if you do go into their shop,don't bother asking for advice on fisheries or bait's,the young lads who work there ain't got a clue,i'd go as far as to say they don't even fish

Windy7

you get what you pay for really............
I live very very close to both of their shops, but I use Matchmen for buying tackle.

Every now and then there will be a real genuine bargain, but most of the stuff is pretty ropey in my opinion. They do buckets of groundbait very cheap, which fizzes very well, and stacks of very cheap terminal tackle.

For a beginner, it's a great place, because you can get yourself completely kitted out without spending a fortune..............if you're serious about your fishing, and you know what you want..........look elsewhere!!!!!!

Don

Daz Henson now works in the coarse part of "Used Tackle" or "Steptoes yard" as I call it and hes a decent angler, the guy in the Dragon Carp shop is knowledgable and friendly when I go in there. As for the rods and the quality I think youd find them on par with Badger type kit if you know of them.

They do sell some branded rods as well usually "Wychwood" and the carp shop as more and more branded end tackle now, for boilies and pellets, groundbaits and liquid additives by Dynamite Baits, Ocean Fresh and SBS they are very good.

I think the problem comes when people actually beleive the RRP of say 120 for a rod that Dragon are selling for a tenner or twenty quid, be sensible it just doesnt happen does it lol? The rods probably cost them around a fiver(if that) if they are selling em at 20 so if an eye breaks throw the rod away and buy another, decent eyes and whippings cost more than the rods worth!Better still invest in a proper rod at a proper price with a well known manufacturer and you may well be more confident in your purchase.

Last edited:

Festa

Originally posted by newies_maggots

dragon carps bait is good though.
Definitely worth the pennies. Have had bad experiences with terminal tackle like other MDer's

Djbennetto

Thanks All,

Message seems to be - Tackle bad - Bait good. Always good to get the lowdown before parting with cash. As I always say, Better in my pocket than theirs.

Cheers

mrhaze

if you mailorder their bait beware the shipping charges!!

your super duper "3 tubs of gb for a tenner" deal soon becomes pretty pricey once you add 10 per tub postage ;p

for gb try a local pet food supplier...most seem to stock hemp, pellets, crumb and other assorted goodies at stupidly cheap prices compared with the tackle shops.

my band of anglers season opener went thru about 40kilos of assorted particles and groundbaits in pre-baiting and session use and for 4 people it cost roughly 10 each!! it would of been 5 times that at least from the local tackle trade...

jaws

I sometimes have a run over there for bits on a Sunday last time I was there I bought their 10 pellets and I've caught loads of carp on them in there the bst pellets I have had for staying on the hook, personally I'm sick of DG/UT being slagged off they must have got plenty of first timers into fishing by their competive prices.

Prezza

It's always a case of buyer beware but in my experience Dragon carp did me proud. Only had a couple of things from them but have had no problems with quality or delivery time. That said I got a large landing net kit complete with some bits and bobs (like scales) that were on the dodgy side but the price for the net and unhooking mat made up for it anyway, I've also got a seat box/bag which is the best purchase I've made all year apart from my new car.

I'd never get a Rod mail ordered anyway unless I'd seen it in a shop first. I think you have to get a good grip of a rod and it helps to compare them with others when you can actually see and feel them.

maidstonefisher

dragon carp product you get what you pay for . For the price the rods are great and i have has many good fish on them. Also i have just got 4 X 2L bucket of groundbait from them for 15 del which is a bargin!!

jaws

I have a Barbel rod that I bought from a Used Tackle road show and I will be using it on the Trent it cost me a 10 so what, I also have rods that I have paid good money for, there is a post on here somewhere with someone moaning (sorry but anglers don't moan) about the difference between two rods was a few decals and tarting up but with a difference in money for the same rods,

shaggy69

Shaggy69
If we are on the subject of quality with regards to Dragoncarp/Used tackle's gear i posted on here last year about two reels bought from their shop by myself.Both reels failed with the same fault,i returned them within a couple of month's expecting an exchange as per their warranty,i was told by Roger Surgay the owner that they would'nt exchange coz they were a discontinued line but they would be willing to discount two new reels.
I went back into their shop three or four weeks later to find 4 full cartons of the same reels(some discontinued line).The only thing i would buy from them would be baits from dynamite or sbs,as for anything else forget it i would sooner go elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.