Double standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev coke

I have just been reading with some interest the article written by ROY MARLOW in the midland angler in the article he is going on about elastics and mainly margin fishing and he came to the conclusion that most elastics stretch to 5 times there original size so if he was fishing in the margins or next to a snag and the snag was 5 feet from the pole tip then he would use 1 foot of elastic in his pole to stop the fish reaching the snag ,makes sense dont it.
But also in the same article he says that he is totally against people bullying fish with doubled up 12 laccy and i know from the entry details to the total fishing BB match at the GLEBE which MR MARLOW owns that he has a maximum elastic rating of a 12 to be used on his waters to stop people skull dragging or bullying his fish .
So the double standard to me is what is the diffrence between fishing 1 foot of number 12 laccy to fishing with 5 foot of 16 laccy set soft through a top kit .
I know at ROLFS LAKE where I do a lot of my fishing that they have the no bullying rule and if you fish 1 foot of 12 laccy in your top kit and only 3 feet came out the end (allowing for 2 feet in the pole when fully stretched) the only thing that you would be landing is yourself in trouble with rolf as he would politly ask you to change the top kit or he will ask you to leave(and he has asked people to leave before now as well).
So getting back to my original point if you were a fishery owner what you prefere people fishing really tight 12 laccy or a soft 16 laccy cuz it seems to me that MR MARLOW has double standards .

KEV THE PEOPLES BOOKIE

mike s

I wish that ALL commercials would remove fish over 5lbs so that nobody would NEED such daft elastic ratings.
(Yes, you CAN call me Mr Controversial.......or something worse).

Cumbria Angling Centre

TINY

Tiny
Id go slightly heavier on the fish weight Mike,but Ill go along with you on this one[;)]
You do know it will be much worse than Mr Controversial?[:D]
Good thing Dave and the moderators dont allow swearing on here[:D][:D].

Andy.

MALC

Kev,

Must admit when i read the article last week i thought exactly the same so i mailed a question to Roy via Midland Angler with virtually the same points highlighted.

As you say it's banning one thing but then telling you it's okay to do the same thing another way..

quote:posted by Mike S
Yes, you CAN call me Mr Controversial

With all the multi pool commercial waters these days it would make a lot of sense to move the various sized fish into certain pools...

eg pool 1 fish upto 1lb..pool 2 fish from 2lb to 4lb and so on then people could choice which pool/size they want to catch.

But then a lot of the enjoyment of not knowing what size your next fish would be would be lost.

But it may be a thing for the souley match orientated fisheries to try as it would mainly appeal to match anglers.

Not me though as i prefer not to know if the next fish will be 1lb or 10lb.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

kev coke

MIKE S

I disagree with your point as this would not stop people using tight thick elastics as was the case at earlwood a couple of years ago now you have to remember that the fish were only averaging 3lb and the way they where fishing for them was to wade out in chest waders to there waist fish 6 meter pole to hand with a method feeder on the end and a tight 20 elastic in the pole the fish would hook themselves and they would just lift and drag the fish in.
It goes the other way the bigger the fish the more time you have to take with them as the harder you pull with a bigger fish the more chance you have of getting snapped up or just pulling out.

MALC
let me know if you get a reply

KEV THE PEOPLES BOOKIE

Last edited:

mike s

Unfortunately Kev, you can never stop the "win at all costs" type from fishing like complete arseholes[:(]
These daft methods are one reason I keep away from carp dominated waters for most of my fishing.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.