Double figure pike quest........

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Continues.

Out again today, 60 acre lake that apparently holds pike to 20lbs. Got there at 7.45am to see a corner of the lake has an icy cap on it.

Nothing for the first 2 hours so I moved to be in a corner I'm told is the deepest part and a banker swim if the wind is blowing that way and it is. Issue is that is the frozen bit. Cast out over the ice which seems to be very thin. Had a take with in 10 minutes, fish took me under the ice and promptly rose up and shed the hooks into the ice which is thicker that it seems. First for me to be snagged in ice.

Nothing more for hours, about 3 I moved to the other end of the lake to a swim I've had a few fish from before. Sat biteless for a couple of hours before a fish came about 3 foot off the bank. I pulled a rod in and dropped the bait in front of the fish. It took it and took off into my other line. Landed it and it went 8lb 12.

Nothing more for a couple of hours then a take on the same rod. Not much of a fight until it was in the net. Fish was deep hooked. Couldn't see either hook and it had rolled itself up the line. Was a nightmare to unhook on my own. Got it done at the cost of my fingers and had to rest the fish for about 20 minutes before it looked strong enough. Weighed in at 9lb 8

The quest continues....

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Out currently, just had one at 9lbs 15 1/2 ozs..

Someone doesn't want me to get a double.

Chew valley at the end of Feb, if I'm going to get a proper one it'll be there

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Good luck in your quest but dont forget to give the rivers a good looking at when theyre fishable as its from now till the end of the season, and its not that far away, when the bigger fish really pack on the weight

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Good luck in your quest but dont forget to give the rivers a good looking at when theyre fishable as its from now till the end of the season, and its not that far away, when the bigger fish really pack on the weight
Your right I should put more effort in on rivers. Last season I fished rivers 3 or 4 times and blanked so its put me off. I'm between Reading and Guildford so must have a go on the thames and the Kennet. My club have just got a section of thames but it won't be available until June 16th

Maverick

Site Supporter
Over 40yrs ago I went on my first pike fishing adventure with a cousin of mine. We fished Rudgard Resservoir which is local to us. The top end of the reservoir was shallow and weedy and at that time a private club rented it.

We got out the small boat and had to smash a way through the ice to reach a patch of clear water in the centre of the lake. After a couple of hours I was into my first and only pike which tipped the scales at 10.5lb. Thankfully I still have a photograph somewhere to remind me of the day.

It was my one and only pike fishing adventure so that 10.5lb is still my personal best to this day. Guess some of us are just lucky and it was great to get a double first time out (y)