Double bulk lift bite float rigs

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive got a hankering after using these type of pole float rigs on a certain water Im fishing, Im after silver bream and the bigger ones seem to want the bait laid hard on the bottom

just about to sit down and tie a few up for trying out on my next session over there

small questions, the actual depth of the lake doesnt really vary much all over it, theres around a foot difference between the deepest parts and where it shallows up towards the end, roughly a constant 3 foot 6 inches to four foot

now Im going to start with 0.5 gramme floats with a bristle around 30mm in length, I will overshot the rig by one no10 shot to dot the bristle right down, and use 0.3g olivettes as the main bulk with a group of no10 shot as the secondary

the hooklengths will be approx 100mm in length, do I place the secondary bulk right tight to the hooklength loop, and the main olivette bulk about 300mm above that ?

Im looking to lay the hooklength on the deck by about 50 to 75mm

cheers

rudd

Site Supporter
You need the second bulk just touching bottom for lift rig to be effective.
The fish need to lift the actual shot at which point bouyancy in float supports the shot - hence fish do not feel the weight.
First bulk has no effect as its weight supported by float is the same.
I would set it about 2.5ft to get bait down quickly.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Use a clip on plummet, clip it on the second bulk - I would use a minimum of 2 No8’s, set the float so it is about 1/2” under the surface, you want the second bulk just off bottom, so it loads the float, but lifts easily. Hooklength would be 4” for small skimmers and 6” for bigger skimmers/bream.

There is no benefit to using too small a second bulk, you want to see a positive lift.

Last edited:

ATTICUS FINCH

Hook in the loop Mickle.
A number six sat on top of the loop and a bulk about a foot above ,fish your float with just enough bristle showing that you can see it and with careful plumbing up have the number six shot a fraction off the deck ,bites will be easily spotted as the float lifts quite nicely .
It's a favourite method for me on a club lake that has skimmers

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
proper buggered around trying a couple out,

really a big pop bottle aint the best thing to try and see if they work, wench now thinks Ive gone proper nuts

had to go up a size float wise to get them to perform with the small bulk size mentioned 0.6

will try tieing your version tomoz billy, had enough now

(and saint Etienne are loosing !)

ATTICUS FINCH

good luck Mick ,must say ive found it to be very good for bite indication ,i strike at any movement of the float up or down.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Setting up for lift bites for bream isn't something i have intentionally done, although i have fished a float with a longish bristle and painted in a small band on the bristle to detect lifts more easily, but what you say makes sense Mick if the fish 'insist' on having it laying on a bit.

I tend to use the 0.1g per foot rule as a start with most pole fishing and as you say, may be a tad heavier than the rule if wind and/or tow likely and definitely for bream, who definitely seem to want the bait ultra static where i fish to too. However i don't go down the olivette route on any rig, unless getting beyond 6ft and where getting a bait past other fish starts to become an issue. In those depths i go for two separate droppers below one bulk at the usual two thirds depth, all 6 inches apart in keeping with my hooklength length (bottom dropper 6 inches from the hook).

You will know your water better than me mick and how you are looking to tackle it, but i just felt that your depths you have-relatively shallow- doesn't lend itself to what sounds a very busy rig set up-alot going on for around four feet of rig. In that depth, i would go for yes the 0.5g float to enable laying on and nailing the bait in place, but then a more standard shotting arrangement with the float bristle showing 50/50, if you get a few fish in the peg, dotting it down imo may not be the best idea if when all bites aren't lifts. Although as i say, not something i have done and do get your plans to make all bites lifts with the mechanics of the rig.

Just my thoughts mick, good luck.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the target in question aint your normal bream, they are proper silver bream,

fished the pond a few times now and use my standard light 0.2-0.3g canal type rigs, caught a few, but found that if im off the bottom at all, im just hooking the smaller fish, 2,3,4 ounce things, though this was perfectly acceptable for the roach,

fished it this week and set up to fish overdepth, laying hard on with a no10 overshot on the float, and the depth set so I had just a pimple showing

a lot of the bites showed as the float rising, but the rig wasnt positive enough and the bites were very finicky, now wether it was the bait I was using (tare) and they couldnt mouth it properly Im not sure, so that is the reason for going heavier with a bigger lower bulk

the olivettes were for getting the rig down fast through the hordes of small rudd that are in the pond, if I fish a strung out rig or a slower fall its hit on the way down, while I dont mind this if Im speed fishing on the whip, Im trying out a few options for the bigger 8oz fish

Ive got it sussed I think (hope) for the bigger roach and rudd, Im just looking at my options for the bigger bream

ATTICUS FINCH

at the end of the day Mick we can only offer from our own experiences and as none of us know the venue you are really the only one that can suss it out properly .
the advice that has been offered is still bloody good advice mate and should be taken on board for if not the venue in question but many others, tight lines matey.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
therein is the reason why I asked

these bream are funny things, feed totally different to normal bream, bite and fight different too, you would swear you had a decent roach on the way they go, proper rattlers

(I was hopin for a quick fix to become an expert overnight :LOL:)

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like the skimmers on my club lake, ended up with waggler 4 in over depth 6mm hard pellet and sitting on hands for proper bite any small bait just gets smashed by the rud n roach, Piranha I call them, it does not matter how much bulk you put on.

richox12

If you want a very positive rig try using 2 olivettes. Fixed with silicone on spigots so you can slide them around at will. The lower smaller (0.1g) one is your dropper and then the bigger one (0.4g, 0.5g) above is your bulk. Even with a 4" hooklength you can easily slide the bottom olivette onto the hooklength and get it even closer if you really need to with no damage or risk to the hooklength whatsoever. Any trimming of the float is done with a No 10 or No 8 way up the line out of the way of everything at the working end.