Don't you hate it when this happens

Paul.P

Went to a new venue last week, cast the bomb out & fired a few pellets over the top then sat down to plumb up margin rig, when all of a sudden my rod shot round & off the rest & then started to be pulled towards the island which was 35mtrs away. I nearly jumped in after it as it was tricast excellence rod & rarenium reel ( so worth a bit ) but a bit of quick thinking, i had already got the plummet on the line so swung it over the reel & luckily it just held enough for the fish to turn & the rod came back towards me, grabbed it quick & even landed the fish. I normally have a rubber front rest but had changed it to a preston plastic one which gave no grip at all to the rod, & I also bought one of the preston grippa rear rests. Went back to same venue & fished a match following weekend & the combination of rubber front rest & the grippa rear rest stopped any repeat, so another lesson learnt !

Paul.P

Yea Mark, should of loosened the clutch, but it was a new venue to me & just wasn't expecting that savage a bite, needless to say the clutch was soon altered !

vfr400

Did the same thing last year was drinking the last dregs from a can (soft drink) head tipped back rod was off the rest and across the lake in a flash £150 worth of rod and reel never seen again, and lost 2 top 2's when no 3 section exploded on 2 separate poles, the last one being my Tri Cast margin pole £140 to replace no3 section and lost top 2 :(

Total

Site Supporter
^^:giggle: @Paul.P ....It's called 'Sods Law' Paul.....Especially as you pour a drink from a flask!.....Been there, done that. :love:

johng19

me@home.com
I bought a new tip rod once, I was in the back garden wriggling it up and down as you do like a plonker, the tip shot off. I was all over the garden and next doors trying to find the thing after about an hour I give up. Just sat in the house pisst off. Later that day I needed to go the shop, must have been 4 or 5 hours later opens the front door and there it was next to the step. Must of gone over the roof. But I was a happy man.

Total

Site Supporter
^^ @johng19 ......Made me smile!:giggle:.......I'd have probably ordered a new tip, gone out 5 hours later and thought "Jeez, they delivered that quick!" :ROFLMAO::giggle:

Dusty

I had my top 2 go in a few weeks back, put my margin rig on the bank side and my bait must have dangled into the edge unknowingly. A few minutes later I was watching my float and saw my top kit taking off across the lake.
The fish towed it around half the lake before I could snag it up and land it, didn’t weigh it in thoigh ?

johng19

me@home.com
^^ @johng19 ......Made me smile!:giggle:.......I'd have probably ordered a new tip, gone out 5 hours later and thought "Jeez, they delivered that quick!" :ROFLMAO::giggle:
Another stupid one, ordered a new fishing suit of line. This day I had my box in the living room (she was out) sorting out bobs and bobs, next thing knock on the door new suit YES, thought I'll try it on, all on zipped up sitting on me box. Next thin door opens misses walks in with two of her mates, all start laughing, misses says to her mates hes losing it, one says I know he will catch nowt there he hasn't even got a fishing rod.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I was fishing a pellet waggler when I had to answer the call of nature.
Reeled in and laid the rod, float and banded pellet on the platform.
While I was studying a nearby bush, a gust of wind blew the pellet off the platform and into the water.
Where it was immediately snaffled by a decent carp, which dragged the rod & reel into the lake before I could react.

It did several yours of the lake, before another angler snagged it with his feeder rod and pulled it in.
Unfortunately, the line was wrapped several times around tip and the line parted, leaving the fish towing the 8g float along behind it.
I walked back to my peg some 100 yards away, and sat down with that sickened feeling you get when something like that happens.
I had switched to a margin pole, when that same float popped up 2 feet away from my platform.
I twizzled the pole rig several times around the pellet waggler float and landed the fish.
Amazing that it would return straight away to that same platform, which must have been "Home" for it.

All's well that ends well, I packed up and went home.