Don't use high tech hooklength for floaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

getfishing

Pete
Instead of my normal line straight through, I used some Fox Micron Plus or whatever it is in something like 13lb. It was quite simply pathetic, it snapped on me twice at the knot (knotless knot and I tied it right). The stuff can't handle the shock of a fish taking off on the first run, especially under the rod tip. Basically don't use it for anything rough and tumble. I'm now thinking about those 2 carp that have got a hook in their mouths and Korda hooks aren't cheap.[:(!]

batman

Fox Micron again, I bought this stuff for pole rigs a few years ago. I had a few spools of it from 0.12mm up, anything under 0.18mm snapped at way below what it should have.[:(!]
Other's have had trouble with it on here, I found out this after throwing the stuff[:(!]

pham

I use stroft in 8Ib for most of my floater fishing and have never had any problems!

The only time I use anything else is when fishing near snags or when its weedy, and then I fish 12Ib sensor straight through!

The_Sogster

Stick and 'Pin
I haven't used that particular line, but if it is flourocarbon then I know from personal experience that a palomar or mahseer knot means that there is less chance of a breakage at the knot.

BarryC

Anyway I thought that flourocarbon sinks like a brick. Am I wrong?

ivgonfishing

Originally posted by BarryC

Anyway I thought that flourocarbon sinks like a brick. Am I wrong?
your right, but some people prefer line that sinks for floater fishing, not sure why though

getfishing

Pete
I might try some 0.25mm Stroft then, its great stuff but the reason I got the fox stuff was that it was the only stuff in the shop in the right sort of breaking strength.

glint

tewton
what do you expect fishing on the surface with the savage takes you get, better off with 8lb maxima or similiar

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Ive used the Fox stuff since it came out for the pole and pellet wag in 0-14-0.20mm. plenty of 100lb+ match weights and fish to 16lb have been landed on this line with no problems!

Its not really sutable for proper carp fishing though.

Last edited:

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by glint

what do you expect fishing on the surface with the savage takes you get, better off with 8lb maxima or similiar
never maxima, it sinks and it is brown. Not a chance, I'll just try some Stroft and if that doesn't work I'll use my mainline in a lighter strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.