Don't ignore the margins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
Although I wasn't after carp, I was lucky enough to catch a 20lb 8oz mirror on Sunday using a very light set up (6lb mainline, 3 1/2lb hooklink and a 16 spade end barbless hook.)

I had fed mashed bread a few feet away from the fishing platform, in the shade of an over-hanging tree and fished for silvers and crucians and small carp in about 4 foot of water. I was actually using a very small cube of luncheon meat on the hook.

I had thrown in a few handfulls of sweetcorn and some maggots at the start with a large amount of mashed bread and topped this up through the session. I caught roach, rudd, crucians and a few small carp before the reel screamed off and the spool started to empty at a slightly worrying speed.

I played the fish for about 20 minutes on a low drag setting in order to try wear the fish down to avoid any frantic runs under the rod tip which could break the hooklink, before daring to bring it to the net.

I wouldn't have opted to go that light in line strengths obviously if I was targeting a big carp, but it's worth pointing out that when there are many lines out to the middle of the lake, and the fish feel pressured this can lead them to seek the sanctuary of the margins instead.

Something else I learned, always take the ruddy camera as you never know what will take your bait next as the photo I've got on my phone is pants!

midge99

Will you stop catching all these big fish your making use bloke feel inadiquate.

Well done Linda

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Yep have to agree with Midge (again) well done Linda another cracking fish

bobmouse

Its all about the margins for me its the first place I put my bait. Nothing like fishing close in...nothing to do with my dodgey eyesight at all.

newies_maggots

also, after a fishing session, where does most of the un-used bait go?

chucked into the margins

syholl

On most carp fisheries i know, the carp come into the margins mid afternoon, when a few people are packing up. They have definitely wise up to this, and will come in to within a foot of the bank to feed.

I usually quiver tip for carp, but always chuck a bit of groundbait out next to the end of the quivertip, so that when the fish show up i will spot them.

Caught a 16lb, a couple of 14lb carp, and a number of fish from 8lb to about 12lb last weekend on this method. As soon as the fish stopped biting on the tip, they appeared in the margins. Its great fun when you can see them as well...

BarryC

Playing a 10lb carp on light tackle a couple of weeks ago looked down to see a huge tail waving at me with its head down probably picking up all the bits of bait i had dropped. Couldnt see the fish just its tail but it was BIG only 2ft from my feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.