Don't Fish Like Me

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I think that many regulars on this site will know that I tend to plough my own furrow. I have always been a bit of a rebel, some managers at work hated me and I was told at least once were glad to see the back of me. This extends to my fishing, much to the annoyance of some and not understood by others. But here's the thing, I enjoy my fishing.

I have also enjoyed a small amount of success and have a few trophies in my cabinet, I am by no means pools fodder though this may change as I get older. Joints are stiffening and reaction times slowing.

But it seems that I do most things wrong.

Not fishing 16m, not dobbing bread, not having a footplate, using the wrong elastics, not using short rods, using too long a hooklength, reels are too cheap, float bristle too thick, wrong shot on the line (6s), not using wire stemmed floats, use the wrong topkits. The list is longer but you get the picture, its a wonder I catch at all.

If I do win a match, frame or beat a good angler then it is down to luck and drawing a flier or end peg.

Many people want me to fish like they do, tell me I must fish like they do but strangely it seems very few people try my methods or tackle, yet they still condemn them.

Very often, when I have done poorly in a match I can identify my mistakes and these are most likely to be along the lines of the things I talk about as being most important - location, presentation and feeding/bait. I rarely return from a match saying that I wish I had fished 16m, used a shorter rod, used a footplate or lighter elastics.

I have also been told I am set in my ways. That is true to some degree, but if I have found methods that work for me then why would I change? Am I any different to those that always fish 16m, have topkits with rigs permanently attached? Yet I look over my last few years of fishing and I can identify changes I have made, experiments I have tried.

Will I change things in the future? Yes, I would have to be a fool to say any different. When I discover a better way, when I see an improvement by making a change then that change will become yet another part of my toolkit in trying to catch fish.

Meanwhile I will continue to fish as I like, enjoy my fishing, write on fishing and yes suggest that perhaps some may want to try things that I have found work for me. You don't have to follow my example. I make no claims to have the right answers, to have won prestigious tournaments and thus have no credentials to make what I say credible. I just fish my way, catch some fish, pick up the occasional envelope and most of all I enjoy my fishing.

P.S. This post is not intended as a criticism of any person or member of the forum. I know that when people suggest I do things differently they do so with a good heart and the best of intentions. I just ask that I be accepted as someone who enjoys doing things differently. And sometimes, just sometimes I do take on board suggestions offered.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think that many regulars on this site will know that I tend to plough my own furrow. I have always been a bit of a rebel, some managers at work hated me and I was told at least once were glad to see the back of me. This extends to my fishing, much to the annoyance of some and not understood by others. But here's the thing, I enjoy my fishing.

I have also enjoyed a small amount of success and have a few trophies in my cabinet, I am by no means pools fodder though this may change as I get older. Joints are stiffening and reaction times slowing.

Not fishing 16m, not dobbing bread, not having a footplate, using the wrong elastics, not using short rods, using too long a hooklength, reels are too cheap, float bristle too thick, wrong shot on the line (6s), not using wire stemmed floats, use the wrong topkits. The list is longer but you get the picture, its a wonder I catch at all.

If I do win a match, frame or beat a good angler then it is down to luck and drawing a flier or end peg.

Many people want me to fish like they do, tell me I must fish like they do but strangely it seems very few people try my methods or tackle, yet they still condemn them.

Very often, when I have done poorly in a match I can identify my mistakes and these are most likely to be along the lines of the things I talk about as being most important - location, presentation and feeding/bait. I rarely return from a match saying that I wish I had fished 16m, used a shorter rod, used a footplate or lighter elastics.

I have also been told I am set in my ways. That is true to some degree, but if I have found methods that work for me then why would I change? Am I any different to those that always fish 16m, have topkits with rigs permanently attached? Yet I look over my last few years of fishing and I can identify changes I have made, experiments I have tried.

Will I change things in the future? Yes, I would have to be a fool to say any different. When I discover a better way, when I see an improvement by making a change then that change will become yet another part of my toolkit in trying to catch fish.

Meanwhile I will continue to fish as I like, enjoy my fishing, write on fishing and yes suggest that perhaps some may want to try things that I have found work for me. You don't have to follow my example. I make no claims to have the right answers, to have won prestigious tournaments and thus have no credentials to make what I say credible. I just fish my way, catch some fish, pick up the occasional envelope and most of all I enjoy my fishing.

P.S. This post is not intended as a criticism of any person or member of the forum. I know that when people suggest I do things differently they do so with a good heart and the best of intentions. I just ask that I be accepted as someone who enjoys doing things differently. And sometimes, just sometimes I do take on board suggestions offered.
It just shows the obsession that people have with their gear, much to the manufacturers delight. A posh box and footplate etc can make you more comfortable but it doesn't catch fish. I hate it when people are classed as 'rubbish if they don't have the latest gadgets. A lot of gear catches anglers rather than fish, I have had some great days with just a rod, reel, landing net and small rucksack with bait and bits.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
I admire the fact that you do things your own way, whilst also being open minded to other ideas. Also, it's quite refreshing to see that we don't have to spend £££ to get great results.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

The only person who is obsessed about it is you !!!!!💁‍♂️you are constantly going on about it

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Do any of us do it right? My best mate catches loads but he the most unorthodox angler I know. As for me, I am like you Neil. I do it my way as it is how I see it underwater that counts.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I enjoy your writings including this one which I can relate to. I fish commercials in a very unorthodox way but have found your blog useful when I maybe want to start fishing a method feeder for example. As said, this is what makes forums good, to get a range of opinions, especially when as bright as yours.

R0B

I inadvertently found that by liquidising some of the dried cat food that we had in bulk (but didn't agree with the cat, so was useless) and mixing with brown crumb, that I had an excellent, almost free groundbait. And wasn't sure it would be any good until I had a great day using it last season.

Now I look at your blog today, Neil and see that it's something you've been doing for ages already. :LOL:

Dropon

Keep doing what you are doing with your fishing Neil,, it suits you, you catch your share, we don’t always do it right but that’s fishing . Main thing is you enjoy your fishing. Now what’s that saying “ if it ain’t broke —- “

endpeg

It all depends on the level you want to fish at!
If your a serious match angler you not going to win many opens fishing margins and 2+2. Certainly not in the NW.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I once read an article in the Match Fishing Magazine by Billy Makin, where he stated that upon watching Darren Cox (or Mark Pollard, can't remember which one) that as far as he could see, they were fishing completely wrong, in that they were spraying squatts, casting all over the place etc: Which ever one it was beat him in the match, so later on he tried to copy their style of fishing and got it completely wrong, in that he did not do well! What I am trying to say is 'horses for courses' and fish to your own strengths and fish how you enjoy your fishing! Tight Lines.